Calculating the Speed of a Dropped Rock on Mars

• Thread starter kmiller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mars Rock
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the speed of a rock dropped from a height of 0.90m on Mars, with an acceleration of gravity of 3.73 m/s2. The correct equation to use is Vf^2 = Vo^2 + 2ad, and it is suggested to include units in the answer for easier understanding.
kmiller

Homework Statement

An astronaut on Mars drops a rock straight downward from a height of 0.90 m. If the acceleration of gravity on Mars is 3.73 m/s2, what is the speed of the rock when it lands?
find m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

.90m/3.73m/s2=.2413
squareroot .2413=.491

.90m+1/2(3.73m/s2)(.491)
=1.816m/s
it was wrong what equation am i suppose to use?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is an easier equation that you can use : Vf^2 = Vo^2 + 2ad.

Also, just a suggestion, it's a lot easier to help you when you put units on your answers.

ill remember that

I got the right answer I think I am just having a hard time with what equations I have to use.

1. Can rocks be dropped on Mars?

Yes, rocks can be dropped on Mars just like they can on Earth. However, due to the lower gravity on Mars, the rock will fall more slowly and have a longer trajectory.

2. How does the gravity on Mars affect the speed at which a rock falls?

The gravity on Mars is about one-third of that on Earth, which means that objects will fall at a slower rate. This is due to the weaker gravitational force pulling the object towards the surface of Mars.

3. Will a rock dropped on Mars behave the same way as it would on Earth?

No, due to the differences in gravity and atmospheric conditions, a rock dropped on Mars will behave differently than on Earth. It will fall more slowly and have a longer trajectory.

4. What would happen if a rock was dropped from a high altitude on Mars?

If a rock was dropped from a high altitude on Mars, it would take longer to reach the ground due to the lower gravity. It would also have a longer trajectory and could potentially travel farther horizontally before hitting the ground.

5. How do scientists drop rocks on Mars for research purposes?

Scientists can use rovers or landers to drop rocks on Mars for research purposes. These vehicles are equipped with mechanisms to release and drop rocks at specific locations, allowing scientists to study the composition and behavior of the rocks on the Martian surface.