Is Dropping Language Senior Year Harmful for College Admissions?

In summary, Colleges and Universities may look down on you for dropping Language, but it does not significantly effect your likelihood of getting into great schools.
Vorde
Hello all, I'm a current junior in High School. A year from now I'll be applying to schools for Physics or Astronomy, I have good-to-great grades, great SAT/PSAT scores, and I believe I can get into some top colleges. My question is regarding Langauge (French in particular), I've taken French for 4 years now, I've always hated it, but I've manged to get through with good grades.

Next year for my senior year, I have the ability to drop language. I've always hated taking it, so when I realized I could do this I jumped at the opportunity. My question is will Colleges and Universities look down on me for dropping Language, and will it significantly effect my likelihood of getting into great schools?

Physics news on Phys.org
This doesn't answer your question, but you should note that some (many?) schools REQUIRE you to take foreign language as part of your general requirements. Some schools have a language placement test, and if you get placed into a language class, you may have to go through the sequence of courses until you pass the 2nd semester of the intermediate (2nd year) level.

Another thing to consider is this: it's possible that if you take a language senior year, enter a college that has a language placement test and take it, you may get a high enough score so that you get exempt from taking language classes in college.

Or, maybe the next level language course you take senior year is an AP course, and so, if you take it and receive a high enough score, you could get AP credit from the college you end up attending.

In any event, you'll need to check the requirements for the schools to which you plan on applying. Talking to your guidance counselor would be a good bet.

Thank you, I already have been told I probably should, I just wanted to double check mostly because of how little I want to, but thanks anyway.

1. Why should we consider dropping a language senior year?

There are a few reasons why students may consider dropping a language in their senior year. One reason could be that they are struggling with the language and do not want it to negatively impact their overall GPA. Another reason could be that they have already fulfilled their language requirement and want to focus on other subjects for their remaining year. Additionally, some students may want to use their senior year to take more electives in a different subject area or to prepare for college.

2. Will dropping a language in senior year affect college admissions?

It depends on the college and their specific admissions requirements. Some colleges may require a certain number of years of a foreign language, while others may not. It is important to research the admissions requirements of the colleges you are interested in and see if dropping a language senior year will affect your eligibility.

3. Can dropping a language senior year affect scholarship opportunities?

Similar to college admissions, scholarship opportunities may have specific requirements for foreign language courses. If you are planning on applying for scholarships, it is important to check their requirements and see if dropping a language senior year could impact your eligibility.

4. Are there any potential consequences of dropping a language senior year?

Aside from potential effects on college admissions and scholarship opportunities, there may also be consequences within your high school. For example, if you are dropping a language that you have already completed 3 years of, you may not receive a foreign language credit for your senior year. This could also affect your class rank and potentially your graduation requirements. It is important to speak with your guidance counselor before making a decision.

5. Is it possible to pick up a different language in senior year instead of dropping one?

It is possible to pick up a different language in your senior year, but it may depend on your school's course offerings and scheduling. It is important to speak with your guidance counselor and the language department to see if this is a feasible option. Keep in mind that learning a new language in one year may be challenging and may not fulfill college admissions requirements for a certain number of years of language study.