Dropping Math Mayor for Grad School - Advice for German Physics Student

• Thread starter Mr.Brown
  • Start date
In summary, the person is considering dropping out of their math degree at the Technical University of Munich because they are struggling with the material and they don't think they will be able to keep up the pace.
Mr.Brown
Hi
I´m a bit in a dilema at the moment :
I started studying at Technical University of Munich ( I am German btw) 3 semesters ago and thanks to not sleeping working all the time i compled nearly 6 semesters worth of physics and the standard curiculum in math for the three semesters.
Now I am wondering how to go on because i kinda have a lot of problems with the math degree here in munich, that´s why i just went standard pace here :)
It mostly consists of rather lame calc, lin alg, real analysis stuff and the focus is more on numerical computations and statistics/probability so more the applied sector which is rather uninteressting for since I am more in theretical physics and only took the math degree to give me some kind of extra knowledge but it really didn´t i didn´t learn anything from the math department and just went through maths as kind of a self learner, didn´t listen to lectures and stuff just did assignments and went to exams.
Now my situation is the following:

Completed douple the expected courses in physics ( even a bit more) as usual in 3 semesters ( good - outstanding grades)

Completed normal math curriculum(average grades)

Now i really see a chance for completing my physics degree in 2 more semesters what would mean i did it in half time, even though a had a pretty big advantage going to a high gifted boarding school before easily worth 2 semesters university from the knowledge point of view :), what i guess would give me kind of an advantage in the race for grad schools.
The drawback here is that i guess i would have to drop the math mayor completely since i don´t see any chance beeing able to keep goint that fast pace in physics with strugling with numerical computations and loads of total nonsense homework :(

So my question is should i drop the math mayor or not, whereby you should only consider the gradschool job market point of view since as i tried to explain the other aspects of math here suck anyways?

Thanks for some advice and sorry for the wired writing style but that thing kinda creeped me out right now during lunch and i really had to write it down :)

PS: How do you see chances for a german guy to go to ivy league universities when having finished physics diploma, equal to masters degree over here, in half the time with really good grades and teaching experience? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say, get your Vordiplom in Math and leave it at that.

I've never applied to the US, but I think you'd be better advised to get some research experience under your belt, than study something you're not interested in.

yeah i guess completing the prediploma would be the right thing to do but i hate numerical computation lab so much :D
No seriously you´re right i guess having my prediploma still allows me to continue maths one day if i really want to :)

1. What is the difference between a Math Mayor and a Physics degree?

A Math Mayor typically focuses on theoretical mathematics, while a Physics degree includes a broader range of subjects such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism. Additionally, a Physics degree often includes laboratory work and practical applications.

2. Can a German Physics student apply to grad school in the US?

Yes, German Physics students can apply to grad school in the US. However, they may need to meet specific requirements such as English proficiency exams and standardized tests like the GRE.

3. How important is a Math Mayor for a Physics student applying to grad school?

A Math Mayor can be beneficial for a Physics student applying to grad school, as it can demonstrate a strong foundation in mathematical concepts. However, it is not necessary to have a Math Mayor to be accepted into a Physics graduate program.

4. What are some tips for a German Physics student applying to grad school in the US?

Some tips for a German Physics student applying to grad school in the US include researching the specific requirements of each program, preparing for standardized tests, obtaining strong letters of recommendation, and highlighting relevant research or internship experience.

5. Is it necessary to have a Math Mayor for a successful career in Physics?

No, having a Math Mayor is not necessary for a successful career in Physics. While a strong foundation in mathematics is important, there are many successful physicists who do not have a Math Mayor. What is more important is a passion for the subject and a dedication to learning and research.