Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drosophila catcher

1. Jan 11, 2008 #1
    I remember somewhere a trick to catch loose Drosophila.
    It might have been beer in a beaker which they drink
    and then drown? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2008 #2

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We used to do this, but with yeast + water + banana.

If you have a major escape on your hands, putting up flypaper near the jar helps, just don't get your hair stuck in it like I did.... Major escapes usually mean having to spray. Which is often a no-no in labs.
  4. Jan 11, 2008 #3

Gold Member

Cut the top off a plastic water/soda bottle, invert it in the body of the bottle, and tape up the edges. Now you have a passive fly-trap that you can bait with fruit juice, bits of fruit, etc.
  5. Jan 11, 2008 #4

Gold Member

I can tell you from personal experience that there's nothing the little sots love more than Scotch. While I was tending bar, we could get away with putting a Saran Wrap cover over the limes and lemons, and the things like banana liquer were alright with the speed-spouts in. The Scotch bottles had so many fruit-flies in them that I had to pour them through coffee filters into second bottles. Then I put rubber caps over the spouts, thinking that it'd be okay. Nope... the bastards were so determined that they crawled in through the vent holes. I finally had to give up and put the screw-caps back on. :grumpy:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?