Solving the Drosophila Disaster: Investigating Surprising Genetics Results

• Thread starter Munki
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker has conducted genetics experiments for their Bio/Genetics class and found surprising results. They did a cross between Apterous and Dumpy flies, expecting one allele to be dominant, but instead got Wild wings. They are seeking help to explain these results and have considered the possibility of compromised experiments. It is suggested that perhaps only the homozygotic flies for Apterous or Dumpy show the trait, and that the genes may have complemented each other, resulting in normal wings in the F2 generation.
Munki
I've been conducting some genetics experiments for my Bio/Genetics class and in the most recent one I got some suprising results.

I did a cross between Apterous (wingless) flies, and Dumpy (misshappen wings) files. The offspring of the experiment had Wild (normal) wings. I can't explain this occurance. I would think that one allele would be dominant over the other, but instead, I get an entirely different trait.

Can anyone help me explain these results, or at least point me in the right direction? I've already thought of the experiments being compromised, but I've done it several times, and I keep getting the same results. I have yet to do an F2 generation.

Biology news on Phys.org
Perhaps only the flies that are homozygotic for Apterous or Dumpy get the trait. So you crossed AA flies with DD flies which would give you F1 flies that were all heterozygotic AD.

In the F2 generation you will get Apterous and Dumpy flies as well as normal flies. I guess you know what percentage of each to expect if this the case.

Maybe you complemented the genes? Meaning that the apterous and dumpy phenotypes are due to gene defects in different pathways, so by crossing them they regain a functional copy of the gene and loose their phenotype.

1. What is the Drosophila Disaster and why is it important to investigate?

The Drosophila Disaster refers to a surprising and unexpected genetic result found in experiments using the fruit fly, Drosophila melanogaster. This result challenges our current understanding of genetics and could have implications for future research. Investigating this phenomenon is important in order to gain a better understanding of the genetic mechanisms at play and to potentially correct any flawed assumptions in our current understanding.

2. What methods or techniques can be used to investigate the Drosophila Disaster?

There are several methods and techniques that can be used to investigate the Drosophila Disaster. These may include genetic mapping, gene sequencing, genetic crosses, and gene expression analysis. Additionally, techniques such as CRISPR-Cas9 gene editing and RNA interference may also be used to manipulate and study specific genes.

3. What are some potential causes of the Drosophila Disaster?

There are several potential causes that could contribute to the Drosophila Disaster. These may include genetic mutations, environmental factors, or differences in gene expression or regulation. It is also possible that the phenomenon is not due to a single cause, but rather a combination of factors.

4. How can studying the Drosophila Disaster benefit other areas of research?

Studying the Drosophila Disaster can have a broader impact on other areas of research. Understanding the genetic mechanisms at play in this phenomenon could lead to new insights and advancements in fields such as developmental biology, evolutionary biology, and human genetics. It could also help improve our understanding of genetic diseases and potentially lead to new treatments.

5. What are some potential implications of the Drosophila Disaster for the scientific community?

The Drosophila Disaster has the potential to challenge and change our current understanding of genetics. This could have major implications for the scientific community, as it may require a re-evaluation of existing theories and models. It could also lead to new research directions and collaborations as scientists work to unravel the mystery of this surprising genetic result.