Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drove a Chevy Volt yesterday

1. Jul 13, 2011 #1
    I got a Chevy Volt for the entire day yesterday and had the opportunity to put the car through it paces. I have to say, I am very impressed. For once a car actually lived up to its hype. I love the way it rides, the handling, the acceleration, the NVH, it made me think I was in a Cadillac. The mileage was of course excellent as well and I got almost 50 miles of pure electric driving from a fully charged battery. The interior is very comfortable although I'm not to crazy about the iPod look of the center council.

The only gripe I have about the car is the HMI. GM really could have done a much better job with organization of the menus along with the buttons and their placement. Not having an off button for the audio or climate control systems was very annoying.

Overall, I really fell in love with the car. I've driven a lot of cars in the past but none of them made me want to hop right back in after driving to the grocery store. GM really did their homework on this one.

I'll be getting Nissan Leaf next week for a day. We'll see how it stacks up.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2011 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for posting about this. I'm interested in knowing how this compares; esp when it comes to cost-equivalent autos. Do you plan to look at any diesels? I know the Honda Civic Diesel sold in Europe actually gets [or got] better mileage than the Honda hybrid.

What is the sticker price of the Volt?

4. Jul 13, 2011 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

No idea what an NVH is, or an HMI, but apparently one smells like leather and the other might be a coffee maker.

5. Jul 13, 2011 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whatever, he is clearly amped over the Volt.

6. Jul 13, 2011 #5
    I haven't driven any of the diesel hybrids, just gasoline ones. If you're looking for a hybrid car thats cost effective, look somewhere else. The Volt should be considered as a vehicle thats electric on the weekdays and gas powered on the weekends. Most other hybrids like the Prius or Insight will get better mileage if you travel more than 100+ or so miles a day.

Ticket price is around $40k before rebates. Somewhere around $33k after government rebates.

NVH: Noise, Vibration, Harshness
    Basically how smooth and quiet a car appears to be.

HMI: Human Machine Interface
    What you can interact with on a vehicle, i.e. the LCD screen(s) on the dashboard and council.

7. Jul 13, 2011 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I drove one for a few minutes at an event a few months ago and was pretty impressed as well.

8. Jul 13, 2011 #7

wolram

Gold Member

Does any one know what the battery life is?

9. Jul 13, 2011 #8

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Was just discussing the HMI of older electrics this morning

1921_Milburn_Sangamo_Charge_Meter.jpg
    1921 Milburn Sangamo Charge Meter

with my EV troopers after seeing the following image yesterday:

tmrtp.jpg
    Circa 1920 Detroit Electric as seen in the rear view of a Tesla

What is it they say about revolutions? :smile:

10. Jul 13, 2011 #9

Drakkith

I heard they have alot of angular momentum.

11. Jul 13, 2011 #10

mheslep

Gold Member

Warranty is 8y/100kmi

12. Jul 13, 2011 #11
    I'd love for my next car to be a Volt, but I'm poor. That might be the next new car I buy. If my Cobalt dies (it has 119,000 miles on it at the moment), I'll probably be stuck with used cars for the next 7 years or so, if I get into and stick with grad school. Can't really buy a 40k car on a 20k stipend.

13. Jul 14, 2011 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not a diesel hybrid, just a diesel. Given the increased efficiency of CI vs ICE coupled with the added BTU per gallon of fuel, regular diesels are on par with gasoline-powered hybrids in terms of mileage.

I'll get excited about the Volt when it makes economic sense without government incentives. I've seen enough novelty cars for one lifetime! :biggrin:

14. Jul 14, 2011 #13

Drakkith

Why don't care manufacturers simply modify existing models to have an option for hybrid/electric? Too expensive? Not as popular?

15. Jul 14, 2011 #14
    Too heavy and little packaging space left available in modern cars, as it's not just a case of sticking battery packs in the boot. Hybrids require a dual input transmisson.

It shouldn't be impossible though going forward, I suppose the manufacturers figure they can make more money this way or someone would have done the hybrid option.

16. Jul 14, 2011 #15

mheslep

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  17. Jul 15, 2011 #16
    Yeah, pretty much. There's very few existing ICE platforms that can be converted to BEV's or HEV's without a complete redesign of the body.

I've heard a lot of rumors that the new Volt is suppose to be quite a bit better than the original. Some people saying the best engineered vehicle ever conceived.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook