Solve Drowsy Cat Flower Pot Height Question

• Thread starter rootX
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks for the height above the window top that a flower pot goes when it is viewed for 0.5 seconds. Using kinematics equations, the solution is found to be 0.122 meters. However, this was incorrect as the question stated that the pot was in view for a total of 0.5 seconds, meaning it could have been going up for part of that time. The correct answer is 2.34 meters.
rootX

Homework Statement

A drowsy cat spots a flower pot that sails first up the window, and then down past an open window. The pot is in view for a total of 0.5s, and top to bottom height of the window is 2 m. How high above the window top does the flower pot go?

Homework Equations

Using kinematics equations:
h = v.t + 0.5*a*t^2
v[f]-v = at
or, 2h/t = v[f]+v

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that it is going down, while it was viewed.
so, here's my diagram:

^|
^|
^s
^|
^|
v
^|
^|
^2 m, 0.5 s
^|
v[f]

(motion is opposite to the direction indicated by the carrot symbols)

so using those equations I get
v = 1.5475 m/s

and as 2as = v^2

so s = 0.122 m

but the answer at the back of the book is 2.34 m ><

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:

I would suggest that there may be some missing information in this problem. Without knowing the initial and final velocities of the flower pot, it is impossible to accurately solve for its height above the window top. Additionally, the equation used in the attempt at a solution is for a constant acceleration, which may not necessarily apply to this situation. It would be helpful to have more information, such as the weight of the flower pot, any external forces acting on it, and the angle at which it was thrown. Without these details, it is difficult to provide a definitive answer.

1. How do I determine the height of a flower pot using a drowsy cat?

The height of a flower pot can be determined by measuring the distance from the ground to the top of the flower pot while the drowsy cat is resting on top of it.

2. What is the purpose of using a drowsy cat to solve this question?

A drowsy cat can be used as a weight to balance out the flower pot and make it easier to measure its height.

3. Is this method accurate for determining flower pot height?

Yes, this method is accurate as long as the drowsy cat is positioned in the center of the flower pot and the measurement is taken from the ground to the highest point of the flower pot.

4. Can any type of cat be used for this method?

Any cat can be used as long as it is drowsy and can sit still on top of the flower pot without causing it to tip over.

5. Are there any other factors that may affect the accuracy of this method?

The surface the flower pot is placed on and the position of the cat may affect the accuracy of the measurement. It is important to make sure the flower pot is on a flat surface and the cat is not moving or leaning to one side.