Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drude and Sommerfeld theory

1. Oct 13, 2009 #1
    What are assumptions on which the Drude model and the Sommerfeld model Match? and In which assumptions both differs???

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2009 #2
    Is this a homework problem? The answer should be clear from a reading of the first few chapters of a basic solid state physics text, like Ashcroft & Mermin or Kittel.

4. Oct 13, 2009 #3
    No it isn't a homework, I just want to make sure that my conclusions are right.
    My answer for the matches would be: In both cases were proposed a free electron besides the importance from the potential of the nucleus, and the interaction between electrons, could be important given its proximity.
    And the resulting from a collision is supposed not depend of the configuration of the electrons at the collision moment

And differs is:
    That drude apply the Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics and sommerfeld applies the fermi dirac statistics to the electon conduction. Sommerfeld applies the theory of fermi dirac to the electronic velocity distribution

I read the book the ashcroft before you told me, I just wanna make sure that my conclusions are right

5. Oct 15, 2009 #4
    Yeah, that sounds about right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook