Appliances Drum Coffee Roaster

• Thread starter Hemipatuca
  • Start date
Hello, My name is Héctor and I love coffee, I'm working on a diy drum coffee roaster. Drum + load= 50 pounds, rotation needed = 10-60 Rpm, length from 20 to 30 cm. How can I determine the motor power that can turn my drum? Can someone help me please?
Thank you in advance

.Scott

Homework Helper
Any power has the potential to turn that drum.
What you need to know is how fast you want to spin it up and what type of friction it will encounter.

A main source of friction is the tumbling of the beans.
I would track down the service manual to a commercial roaster similar in size to the one you are using to find out what they are using.

A quick survey didn't show me anything specific. But one device similar in size to yours (perhaps a somewhat smaller) drew 16 Amps at 110 volts.

You're going to need to be concerned about speed control as well.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply, I'm aware that there are a lot of motors that can work but I don't want to underutilize power nor money. I would like to know how many hps or torque is needed to choose the correct one.

Thank you again

anorlunda

Mentor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Thank you for your reply, I'm aware that there are a lot of motors that can work but I don't want to underutilize power nor money. I would like to know how many hps or torque is needed to choose the correct one.
I think you missed @.Scott 's point. The size of the motor depends mostly on friction. You (and we) have no way to estimate how much friction.

Therefore, your best approach is to see what size motors other coffee roasters use. The manufacturers of those other roasters may have done experiments to measure the friction.

You other possibility is to do your own experiments. Build the coffee roaster and try spinning it at the desired speed. Measure how much power that takes, and use that number to select the optimum motor.

Summary: DIY coffee roaster

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/force-needed-to-rotate-a-drum.915197/

Hello, My name is Héctor and I love coffee, I'm working on a diy drum coffee roaster. Drum + load= 50 pounds, rotation needed = 10-60 Rpm, length from 20 to 30 cm. How can I determine the motor power that can turn my drum? Can someone help me please?
Thank you in advance
I note in passing that these requirements are not dissimilar to a small electric clothes dryer. Might be a source for parts/ ideas.