How Much Motor Power is Needed for a DIY Drum Coffee Roaster?

• Appliances
  • Thread starter Hemipatuca
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coffee Drum
In summary: Any power has the potential to turn that drum.What you need to know is how fast you want to spin it up and what type of friction it will encounter.A main source of friction is the tumbling of the beans.I would track down the service manual to a commercial roaster similar in size to the one you are using to find out what they are using.A quick survey didn't show me anything specific. But one device similar in size to yours (perhaps a somewhat smaller) drew 16 Amps at 110 volts.You're going to need to be concerned about speed control as well.Thank you for your reply, I'm aware that there are a lot
Hemipatuca
Hello, My name is Héctor and I love coffee, I'm working on a diy drum coffee roaster. Drum + load= 50 pounds, rotation needed = 10-60 Rpm, length from 20 to 30 cm. How can I determine the motor power that can turn my drum? Can someone help me please?
Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Any power has the potential to turn that drum.
What you need to know is how fast you want to spin it up and what type of friction it will encounter.

A main source of friction is the tumbling of the beans.
I would track down the service manual to a commercial roaster similar in size to the one you are using to find out what they are using.

A quick survey didn't show me anything specific. But one device similar in size to yours (perhaps a somewhat smaller) drew 16 Amps at 110 volts.

You're going to need to be concerned about speed control as well.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes anorlunda
Thank you for your reply, I'm aware that there are a lot of motors that can work but I don't want to underutilize power nor money. I would like to know how many hps or torque is needed to choose the correct one.

Thank you again

Hemipatuca said:
Thank you for your reply, I'm aware that there are a lot of motors that can work but I don't want to underutilize power nor money. I would like to know how many hps or torque is needed to choose the correct one.

I think you missed @.Scott 's point. The size of the motor depends mostly on friction. You (and we) have no way to estimate how much friction.

Therefore, your best approach is to see what size motors other coffee roasters use. The manufacturers of those other roasters may have done experiments to measure the friction.

You other possibility is to do your own experiments. Build the coffee roaster and try spinning it at the desired speed. Measure how much power that takes, and use that number to select the optimum motor.

Likes NTL2009
Hemipatuca said:
Summary: DIY coffee roaster

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/force-needed-to-rotate-a-drum.915197/

Hello, My name is Héctor and I love coffee, I'm working on a diy drum coffee roaster. Drum + load= 50 pounds, rotation needed = 10-60 Rpm, length from 20 to 30 cm. How can I determine the motor power that can turn my drum? Can someone help me please?
Thank you in advance
I note in passing that these requirements are not dissimilar to a small electric clothes dryer. Might be a source for parts/ ideas.

1. What is a DIY Drum Coffee Roaster?

A DIY Drum Coffee Roaster is a homemade machine used to roast coffee beans. It typically consists of a rotating drum, a heat source, and a motor to rotate the drum. It allows coffee enthusiasts to roast their own coffee beans at home.

2. How does a DIY Drum Coffee Roaster work?

The coffee beans are placed inside the rotating drum, which is heated by a heat source such as a gas burner or electric coil. The drum rotates to ensure even roasting of the beans. As the beans heat up, they release moisture and oils, resulting in the characteristic aroma and flavor of roasted coffee.

3. What is the recommended motor power for a DIY Drum Coffee Roaster?

The recommended motor power for a DIY Drum Coffee Roaster depends on the size and weight of the drum. Generally, a motor with a power of 30-50 watts is sufficient for a small to medium-sized drum. However, for larger drums, a motor with a power of 100 watts or more may be needed.

4. Can I use any type of motor for a DIY Drum Coffee Roaster?

It is important to choose a motor that is suitable for the size and weight of your drum. A motor with too little power may not be able to rotate the drum effectively, while a motor with too much power may cause the beans to roast too quickly and unevenly. It is best to consult with a DIY coffee roasting community or expert for recommendations on the appropriate motor for your specific setup.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a DIY Drum Coffee Roaster?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when using a DIY Drum Coffee Roaster. Make sure to use heat-resistant materials for the drum and to keep a safe distance from the heat source. It is also recommended to wear protective gear such as gloves and goggles when handling hot beans or operating the roaster. Additionally, always monitor the roasting process closely to prevent any accidents or fires.