Converting Drums to Keyboard: Can it be Done?

• Thread starter Vanush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Keyboard
In summary, the conversation was about the possibility of converting the sound of a snare drum to a keyboard instrument using signal processing techniques. The speaker also mentioned their goal of playing a drum pattern on a keyboard while maintaining the sense of the drum sound. It was discussed that a snare drum does not have a single frequency, but it is still possible to digitally sample and reproduce the sound. Some resources were shared for pitch shifting in MATLAB and using Audacity to manipulate audio files. The conversation also touched on using a synthesizer to create drum patterns and the potential to use MATLAB for this purpose. The conversation ended with a mention of a video on YouTube of Michael Jackson's Thriller recreated in Mario Paint Composer.
Vanush
Hello,

Is it possible to 'convert' the sound of a drum to a keyboard
instrument, e.g. using signal processing techniques. Measure the pitch
of a snare drum, and attempt to recreate it in MATLAB? I don't think
it's possible, since a (snare) drum doesn't have a fundamental
frequency, does it? My goal is to play a drum pattern on a keyboard
but still keeping the sense of the drum sound.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A snare drum doesn't have a single frequency, nor does the distribution of frequencies stay the same during the course of the drum beat. Nevertheless, you can still digitally sample and reproduce the sound, otherwise your MP3s and CDs wouldn't work!

I don't know a whole lot about audio processing, but I found the following when I googled for pitch shifting in MATLAB:
http://www.dspdimension.com/admin/time-pitch-overview/

To avoid having to implement these and to just see their impact, you can probably just find an MP3 or WAV file of drumming and run it through Audacity (it's got various effects built-in).

If you've ever used a synthesizer, you can drum out patterns by pressing keys corresponding to various samples of drum hits (e.g. one Tom hit, a different Tom, and then a high hat). MATLAB allows you to import, play back (and probably compose) audio files, so you could probably use these to generate yourself a drum pattern, if you wanted to do that in MATLAB.

Just thought I'd share this: Michael Jackson's Thriller done in Mario Paint Composer (there's a whole bunch of similar Mario paint stuff on YouTube):

Someone made a free PC port of it, but there are definitely more serious MIDI composer programs out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Can drum sounds be accurately replicated on a keyboard?

Yes, with the advancements in technology, it is possible to replicate drum sounds on a keyboard using sampling techniques. This allows for a more realistic and authentic sound.

2. How does the conversion process work?

The conversion process involves recording individual drum sounds and assigning them to specific keys on the keyboard. This can be done through MIDI mapping or using a digital audio workstation (DAW) to trigger the sounds.

3. Will the converted drums sound the same as the original drums?

While the converted drums can sound very similar to the original drums, they may not sound exactly the same due to variations in sound quality and the capabilities of the keyboard. However, with careful sampling and mapping, the difference can be minimal.

4. Can I customize the drum sounds on a keyboard?

Yes, with the use of a DAW or MIDI mapping, you can customize the drum sounds on a keyboard to your liking. This allows for a more personalized and unique drum sound.

5. Are there any limitations to converting drums to a keyboard?

While converting drums to a keyboard is possible, there may be limitations in replicating certain drum techniques or sounds, such as drum rolls or cymbal swells. It also depends on the capabilities of the keyboard and the quality of the samples used.