1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drumskin PDE's

1. May 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Not sure if you guys can get this link
    http://www.maths.uwa.edu.au/devsite/Units/math3341-s1-2008-crawley/assignments-solutions/Sheet 4
    should be able to.
    Question is quesiton two.

2. Relevant equations
    Not many besides the general seperation of solutions sort of thing but im a bit unsure how to apply that with three variables.

3. The attempt at a solution
    In previous examples we had some symmetry that meant we could knock out say the theta dependance on something but im not sure here. I tried letting u = T(t)R(r)K(theta) and just fiddling a bit but came up trumps as i tried to fit the R function to a solution of the bessel function which we expect from whats given. I get the T(t) function as a sin + cos solution with argument lambda*c where -lambda squared is the constant i assign to the two sets of functions in seperation of variables. Thats sort of right i guess, not sure where the plus or minus comes from but then again i don't know how they get omega. I think im on the right track looking for the solution form of u i gave im just not sure how to follow through nor how to link the two constants that arise from applying seperation of variables twice.

Hope that made sense :S
    Cheers
    -G

EDIT: Nevermind, im retarded and can't read my own notes/do algebra properly. Mods can delete if you want.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2008 #2
    Deleted

Last edited: May 27, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?