Drunken philosophy

1. Math Is Hard

Math Is Hard 4,915
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I once joked with a certain member here about getting hammered one night and polluting the philosophy forum with wacky topics. I think there's a wealth of material from popular music:

1) Every rose has its thorn. Discuss.

2) What are words for? (When no one listens anymore.)

3) All we are is dust in the wind, dude. (Stolen from Bill and Ted).

4) If I could save time in a bottle.. what kind of bottle would it be?

5) Do you, YOU, feel like I do? (OK, that one's almost good for kicking off discussions on subjective experience).

Have you ever been a philosophical drunk? Have you ever found deep meaning in a song via a bottle of Stoli?

More importantly, how soon is now?

2. jcsd
  3. All perfectly sober philosophical quetions sound like the products of inebriated minds to me.

4. lisab

Staff: Mentor

:rofl:

5. Math Is Hard

Math Is Hard 4,915
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A philosophy teacher I had (who looked like a young Russell Crowe) once told the class, "Philosophy is not something you do when you're stoned or drunk; it's done alone in a dark room, with careful thought, after many cups of coffee." And I agreed. And then he said something else, but he lifted his arms to stretch and treated us to a glimpse of his perfect muscular abdomen, and I don't remember what the rest of it was..

what was I saying? Oh, yes.. so what's the over/under you'd give me on the number of these topics I could post at philosophyforums.com before getting banned?

6. Philosophical considerations are subject to sudden evaporation under certain circumstances, yes.

Well, there is the true story of how V.S. Ramachandran wrote a fake EvoPsych article called "Do Gentlemen Prefers Blondes" and got it accepted to a peer reviewed EvoPsych journal. I think you could get away with just about anything on a philosophy forum.

7. lisab

Staff: Mentor

Lol, I'll give you 3/5. I think you can get that far because clearly all of the mentors there are sitting in the dark jittered on caffeine and thinking hard.

I love the bottle one btw and I think that's the one that will get you booted.

8. Strangely enough, I could produce a perfectly serious essay with that title.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  10. Another one for the list:

Dude, it's all about perspective.

11. BobG

BobG 2,364
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[​IMG]

12. DavidSnider

DavidSnider 505
    Gold Member

13. Oh sure, BobG, hurt my brain. Go right ahead.

MiH, I think your odds of becoming a philosophy board favourite are really good. I'd give you 9/10 odds.

14. I was a bit drunk when I decided to quote song lyrics in a discussion in the philosophy forum here. Sorry.

15. I think this thread should have been posted in the philosophy sub-forum, then it would have been taken seriously.

16. I would keep my Klein Bottle in an Alice Universe, with my friend the mad hatter. ;)

17. fuzzyfelt

fuzzyfelt 743
    Gold Member

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  18. EnumaElish

EnumaElish 2,483
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then there is the true (?) story of John Nash figuring out his equilibrium concept (game theory) by thinking about the choices of two men engaging two women, one blond and one brunette, in a bar. This was part of the movie A Beautiful Mind (in which a youngish R. Crowe played John Nash).

19. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  20. Math Is Hard

Math Is Hard 4,915
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Neat! :smile: That makes me think of the Sokal Affair.

I like that band. Their singer is a prof at UCLA.

I think the trick would be too sneakily manipulate the lyrics until the key question is still there, but it is not recognizable as song lyrics. After the thead's been going for awhile, then it might be fun to begin to subtly rephrase the quetion back to way it was posed in the song. And do it for all the threads of course. Eventually, someone realizes that all the threads I started were from song lyrics. har har har

Russell Crowe was really hot in that. Really, really hot. But still.. he was no Feynmann.

I like that song. It was in Fight Club?

21. fuzzyfelt

fuzzyfelt 743
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?