Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drunken walk

1. Jan 27, 2005 #1
    i'm stuck trying to figure out this probabilities problem for my thermodynamics class. the question is:

consider an idealized drunk, restricted to walk in one dimension (eg. back and forward only). the drunk takes a step every second, and each pace is the same length. let us observe the drunk in discrete timesteps, as they walk randomly - with equal probability - back or forward.

a) suppose we have 2 non-interacting drunks who start out in the same location. What is the probability that the drunks are a distance A apart after M timesteps? (use stirling's approximation if you need to)

b)suppose instead that the 2 drunks started a distance L apart. Find the probability that the drunks meet at precisely the Mth timestep.

i know that the probability of a binary model system is given by:
    P = multiplicity of system / total # of accessible states
    = g (M, s) / 2^M

where g is the multiplicity and s is the spin excess (# of forward steps - # of backward steps")

= M! / [(1/2M+s)! (1/2M-s)! 2^M]

using stirling's approx. for large M, this becomes,

P (M,s) = sqrt[2/M(pi)] exp[-2s^2/M]

i'm not sure where to go from here and i'm really confused. the formula i wrote takes care of the M timesteps, but how do i factor in the distance A? how should i go about doing this question? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2005 #2

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Thinks in Head"

Let's try this from drunk 1's frame.
    Drunk 2 can either move 0 relative, 2 relative, or -2 relative. There's a 1/2 chance of 0 and a 1/4 chance for each 2.
    So half the time he doesn't move relative to you, a quarter of the time he moves away (assuming he isn't at the same spot) and the other quarter he moves closer.

Interesting...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?