Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dry ice

1. Apr 8, 2004 #1
    If I melt dry ice, can I swim without getting wet?

I'm just curious: What makes dry ice dry?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2004 #2

Janitor

Science Advisor

Short answer: if you put enough pressure on dry ice, and then warm it up, it will turn liquid--and it would very definitely get you wet, if your body could stand the pressure.

4. Apr 8, 2004 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dry ice is dry because it contains no water -- it is solid carbon dioxide. It does not melt into a liquid; it sublimates directly into gaseous C02.

- Warren

5. Apr 8, 2004 #4
    It is fun stuff! Dry ice expands about 800 times from its solid volume to its gasseous volume at STP. Just another fun fact, the temperature of it is around -109.3 F (-78.5 C).

Check out www.dryiceinfo.com for more info than you probably want.

6. Apr 8, 2004 #5

Janitor

Science Advisor

The density of water is around 62.4 LB/FT³ The link provided by Macgiver says the density of liquid carbon dioxide is 63.69 LB/FT³ and its triple point is -69 Fahrenheit and 75.1 PSIA. So if you put about 5 atmospheres of pressue on it, you can get it to liquify at -69 degrees.

7. Apr 9, 2004 #6
    So is that what all the white gas is that is emitted from dry ice? Just CO2?

Shucks. There goes my plan for world domination. :mad: :biggrin:

8. Apr 9, 2004 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't give up on the world domination plans just yet -- CO2 is in fact very toxic. :biggrin:

- Warren

9. Apr 9, 2004 #8
    Maybe so, but I'll need a better name for it. Like "Super Killer Inhaling Stuff."

10. Apr 10, 2004 #9
    Please be careful. Discharging a fire extinguisher to put out a fire can displace the air in an enclosed area and lead to you to becoming disoriented or unconscious.

Do not transport large quantities of dry ice in your car without proper ventilation.

-Mike

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?