Dry Lift Testing: Resources for Turboshaft Fuel Pumps

In summary, the term "dry lift" refers to a pump that has to pull its inlet, without a flooded inlet. It is commonly used in designing fuel pumps for military helicopter applications, where a boost pump at the fuel tank is not feasible. The Pump Handbook by Karassik, Krutzsch, Frasier and Messina has a chapter on test procedures for dry lift pumps, and the SAE specification ARP4280 may also be useful. Further information and discussions on this topic can be found on the engineering tips forum.
robsmith82
Can anyone point in the direction of any information on dry lift testing for turboshaft fuel pumps? I need to write a good practices guideline for this and need to find as much info as I can.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not a hard core pump guru for sure, but I can't say that I am familiar with the term of "dry lift." Can you describe your set up a bit better and what exactly you are looking for in the test? Perhaps it is better known by another term.

EDIT: I did some looking around and found it. The term refers to a pump that has to pull its inlet. It does not have a flooded inlet.

I would suggest you look at The Pump Handbook by Karassik, Krutzsch, Frasier and Messina. It has a good chapter on test procedures.

Also, see if you can get a hold of this SAE spec:
http://www.sae.org/servlets/aerostd...RP4280&inputPage=wIpSdOcDeTaIlS&comtID=TEAAE5

Last edited:
Ok I'd better give some background. When designing a fuel pump for military helicopter applications, you have to take into account that there is no boost pump at the fuel tank, as this would leave a pressurised line running up the side of the cockpit which could be a big fire hazard if subjected to battle damage. To combat this, the line needs to be under suction so fuel will not spray out. This is done by having the displacement side of the pump self prime, that is, pumping the air through and drawing the fuel into the pump from the fuel tank at the bottom of the helicopter. The pumps ability to do this is called its dry lift performance.

Last edited:
Once I saw what the definition of dry lift was, I knew exactly what was going on. It makes perfect sense. Although, in my aircraft (CH-47s) we had the luxury of having boost pumps in the tanks.

I did a quick search of my references and I couldn't find anything specific in terms of existing aerospace standards. You may want to also post this question on engineering tips. They have a specific pump forum with some very knowledgeable guys in the pump industry:

http://www.eng-tips.com/threadminder.cfm?pid=407

1. What is Dry Lift Testing?

Dry Lift Testing is a method used to evaluate the performance of turboshaft fuel pumps. It involves running the pump without any fuel flow to simulate dry conditions and measure the amount of lift the pump can generate.

2. Why is Dry Lift Testing important for turboshaft fuel pumps?

Dry Lift Testing is important because it allows engineers to determine the maximum amount of lift a fuel pump can generate without any fuel flow. This information is critical for designing and selecting fuel pumps that can meet the demands of high-performance turboshaft engines.

3. How is Dry Lift Testing conducted?

Dry Lift Testing is typically conducted in a controlled laboratory environment using specialized equipment. The pump is mounted on a test stand and connected to a motor that rotates the pump at different speeds. Pressure and flow sensors are used to measure the lift of the pump at various operating conditions.

4. What are the benefits of Dry Lift Testing?

Dry Lift Testing provides valuable data on the performance of turboshaft fuel pumps, which can be used to optimize their design and ensure reliable operation. It also allows for comparison between different pump designs and can help identify potential issues before they occur in real-world applications.

5. Are there any limitations to Dry Lift Testing?

While Dry Lift Testing is an important tool for evaluating turboshaft fuel pumps, it does have some limitations. It cannot simulate all real-world operating conditions, such as changes in temperature and pressure, or the presence of contaminants in the fuel. Therefore, it should be used in conjunction with other testing methods to fully assess the performance of a fuel pump.