Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dry lift testing

1. Jul 31, 2007 #1
    Can anyone point in the direction of any information on dry lift testing for turboshaft fuel pumps? I need to write a good practices guideline for this and need to find as much info as I can.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

I'm not a hard core pump guru for sure, but I can't say that I am familiar with the term of "dry lift." Can you describe your set up a bit better and what exactly you are looking for in the test? Perhaps it is better known by another term.

EDIT: I did some looking around and found it. The term refers to a pump that has to pull its inlet. It does not have a flooded inlet.

I would suggest you look at The Pump Handbook by Karassik, Krutzsch, Frasier and Messina. It has a good chapter on test procedures.

Also, see if you can get a hold of this SAE spec:
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  4. Jul 31, 2007 #3
    Ok I'd better give some background. When designing a fuel pump for military helicopter applications, you have to take into account that there is no boost pump at the fuel tank, as this would leave a pressurised line running up the side of the cockpit which could be a big fire hazard if subjected to battle damage. To combat this, the line needs to be under suction so fuel will not spray out. This is done by having the displacement side of the pump self prime, that is, pumping the air through and drawing the fuel into the pump from the fuel tank at the bottom of the helicopter. The pumps ability to do this is called its dry lift performance.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  5. Jul 31, 2007 #4

Science Advisor

Once I saw what the definition of dry lift was, I knew exactly what was going on. It makes perfect sense. Although, in my aircraft (CH-47s) we had the luxury of having boost pumps in the tanks.

I did a quick search of my references and I couldn't find anything specific in terms of existing aerospace standards. You may want to also post this question on engineering tips. They have a specific pump forum with some very knowledgeable guys in the pump industry:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?