Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dry stump engines

1. Mar 22, 2004 #1
    hey everyone, i was wondering if anyone knows how to convert a regular (wet stump) engine into a dry stump engine? Is it hard to do, and is it worth the gain? My goal is to make a low budget, street legal car that can do drag strip duty on the weekends. I know that a dry stump would be better because you can repositon the weight of the oil to make the car have better weight distrabution, but thats about all i know. any comments would be helpful.

thanks, brian
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2004 #2
    The long and short of it is it's tough, and slightly expensive for minimal returns.

You need a windage tray, crank scrappers, An external oil pump, a resevior for the retorn oil, and a hydraulic accumulator (to act as a surge volume). Add in the AN fittings, braided hose, and the hassel associated. It's not worth it for a weekend warrior.
  4. Mar 23, 2004 #3
    ok, i got another question, would a windage tray be benificial in a regular wet stump engine? and also, is it good to have a negative crank case pressure? If its good to have a negative crank pressure, is that more benificial in a car that has boost?
  5. Mar 23, 2004 #4

Science Advisor

Dry sumps are expensive, don't kid yourself. The gain isn't in weight distribution, the biggest gain is in having full oil pressure at startup and at any g-load on the motor. As said, very expensive for gains, but when you have 10K in the motor its worth it to protect your investment.

I've read that a windage tray can be up to maybe 10HP along with knife-edged crankshafts, and both reduce the chance of oil foaming should it puddle and become agitated. Some trays can also help tie the main caps together, I think in top fuel its cross-bolted as well.

If you had positive crankcase pressure, you would likely have oil leaks around your main seals. Hence the PCV valve....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?