Is Blowing Hot Air Near Gas Pipes Safe for Indoor Air Conditioners?

• Thread starter gauss44
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Pipes
In summary: HVAC professional. In summary, this type of A/C vent is safe to blow hot air on or near a natural gas or oil pipe as long as the gas pipe has a safety valve.
gauss44
I am in the process of installing a somewhat unique type of indoor air conditioner with a vent similar to a dryer vent. My question is, do you think it's safe for this vent to blow hot air on or near a natural gas pipe? And an oil pipe? The natural gas pipe is a little off to the left, and a little less than a foot above where I want to put this vent.

This is what I am installing: http://www.meijer.com/s/haier-cpb08xcl-8000btu-portable-air-conditioner/_/R-211930

There is only one option for the placement of this vent. I can either blow near those pipes, or cannot be installed at all.

So, what do you think?

(I've also contacted NSTAR, but figured I'd post here for fun and for second opinions.)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well it all depends on the gas pipe safety parameters and how hot the air will be how high the temperature of the pipe will be after the vent will go online and so on without knowing these no one can answer this question.

All gasses expand when heated , natural gas including , now every natural gas container has a temperature limit under which it can be safely operated , because when the temperature gets too high the pressure that the gas exerts on the container walls gets too critical and it can burst open resulting in fatal explosion.
So I would check twice before doing anything more than usual when near natural gas.
Although i guess an air conditioners vent cannot be too hot.

I think you're ok. The temperature of the exhaust on one of those air conditioners can't be more than a few tens of degrees above ambient. So it's like a hot, summer day at the worst. The gas isn't trapped (it can go back up the pipe) so the increase in pressure is going to be zero.

I'm confused. This is a portable room A/C with an exhaust hose which vents out of a window. Do your gas lines run near your windows? Exactly how is your dwelling laid out? BTW, the reviewers don't seem to be too pleased with the unit's performance.

Check your local or state building codes. Might also be covered by Health & Safety (or its equivalent). Even if they do not specifically target portable units, the regulations for permanent installations should at least provide some guidelines you can follow.

Spot cooling

I have used this type of unit before.

The short answer is the exhaust of '8,000'BTU (so rated) produced about a 8C rise over the ambient air in the exhaust. They are not as efficient as window type units and cost more.

Typically you are told to stick with the supplied vent, not use dryer vent. I improved heat loss by keeping the hose as short as possible and wrapping with a 'space' blanket.

My success came from keeping a few mac mini servers going in a small area.

If you are really worried about the heat from the air, use a deflector for a dryer exhaust.

The update:

NSTAR referred me to National Grid. National Grid says that they can't answer my question, even though it's their pipe.

So, I'm thinking that the city's Buildings Department might help? Or maybe it's on me to hire an expert of some sort. National Grid suggested I hire an HVAC professional. I am just a college student renter so I'm not sure that I should have to do that. So far everyone thinks it's fine. So, I'm tempted to build my own deflector and call it a day.

Deflector

I would not waste time building a deflector when you can find an off-shore piece in a big box hardware store, aim it away from the pipe, and ideally directly at a water source...

1. What is the proper way to connect a dryer vent to a gas pipe?

The proper way to connect a dryer vent to a gas pipe is to use a vent connector, which is a flexible metal pipe that connects the dryer to the vent. This should be secured with metal clamps on both ends and should be as straight as possible to prevent lint buildup.

2. Can a gas pipe be used as a dryer vent?

No, a gas pipe should never be used as a dryer vent. Gas pipes are not designed to handle the heat and moisture from a dryer and can pose a serious safety hazard. Always use a proper dryer vent for this purpose.

3. How often should a dryer vent be cleaned?

A dryer vent should be cleaned at least once a year to prevent lint buildup and reduce the risk of fire. However, if you notice that your dryer is taking longer to dry clothes or that there is a burning smell, it may need to be cleaned more frequently.

4. What are the signs of a clogged dryer vent?

The signs of a clogged dryer vent include longer drying times, clothes that are still damp after a full cycle, a burning smell, and excessive heat in the laundry room. You may also notice lint buildup around the dryer or on the outside vent cover.

5. Can a clogged dryer vent be a fire hazard?

Yes, a clogged dryer vent can be a serious fire hazard. Lint buildup can easily catch fire when exposed to high heat from the dryer. It is important to regularly clean and maintain your dryer vent to prevent this dangerous situation.