How Can You Calculate the Drying Time of a Spherical Granule?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the drying of a porous spherical granule in air. The drying rate is controlled by diffusion of water vapor through the dry region with an original moisture content of ##\rho## kmol per unit granule volume. The equation ##N_{1}c_{2} - N_{2}c_{1} = -DC \frac {dc_{1}}{dr}## is used to show that the drying time is given by $$ \frac {\frac {\rho a^{2} R T}{6DP}}{ ln \Big(\frac {P}{P-P^{*}} \Big)} $$ where p* is the vapor pressure. The conversation also mentions an example involving a gran
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Fig. below shows the cross-section of a porous spherical granule of radius a. The pores are initially saturated with water. The granule dries in air at pressure P and temperature T. The drying rate is controlled by diffusion of water vapor through the dry region B; the shrinking core A has the original moisture content ##\rho## kmol per unit granule volume.

Using the equation within the region B, ##N_{1}c_{2} - N_{2}c_{1} = -DC \frac {dc_{1}}{dr}## show that the drying
time is
$$ \frac {\frac {\rho a^{2} R T}{6DP}}{ ln \Big(\frac {P}{P-P^{*}} \Big)} $$
where p* is the vapor pressure.

For a granule 10 mm in diameter, the drying time at 25 °C is 20 hours, the initial
water content being 50 mg; P = 1 bar, p* = 0.032 bar. Estimate D.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having a lot of problems solving these mass transfer problems, I am lacking intuition for the problem

So I start with the equation
$$N_{1}c_{2} - N_{2}c_{1} = -DC \frac {dc_{1}}{dr}$$
I am thinking 1 refers to water and 2 refers to air. I think the flux of air into the water, ##N_{2}##, is negligible since air is not very soluble in water, thus I am saying that term is zero, leaving me with
$$N_{1}c_{2} = -DC \frac {dc_{1}}{dr} $$
substituting ##c_{2} = C - c_{1}##
$$N_{1}(C - c_{1}) = -DC \frac {dc_{1}}{dr} $$
rearranging and integrating,
$$ \int_{\rho}^{0} \frac {dc_{1}}{C-c_{1}} = - \frac {N_{1}}{DC} \int_0^a dr $$
$$ln \Big(\frac {C}{C - \rho} \Big) = - \frac {N_{1}}{DC}a$$

From here I don't know where I will get those pressure terms

Attachments

• 4.4.png
    4.4.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maylis said:
I am having a lot of problems solving these mass transfer problems, I am lacking intuition for the problem

So I start with the equation
$$N_{1}c_{2} - N_{2}c_{1} = -DC \frac {dc_{1}}{dr}$$
I am thinking 1 refers to water and 2 refers to air. I think the flux of air into the water, ##N_{2}##, is negligible since air is not very soluble in water, thus I am saying that term is zero, leaving me with
$$N_{1}c_{2} = -DC \frac {dc_{1}}{dr} $$
substituting ##c_{2} = C - c_{1}##
$$N_{1}(C - c_{1}) = -DC \frac {dc_{1}}{dr} $$
You're good up to here. Nice job and nice reasoning.

But, N1 is a function of r in your problem (so the integrations are incorrect). This is very similar to the problem you were doing the other day for evaporation of a drop. The above equation applies in the region between r = x and r = a. You need to take into account the spherical geometry, just like the problem the other day. 4πr2N1 is constant in this region. You need to express the C and c in terms of the total pressure P and the partial pressure of water vapor (which is equal to the equilibrium vapor pressure at r = x), respectively. You need to solve for 4πr2N1, which is the rate at which water is leaving the inner core.

Chet

Likes gfd43tg
Thanks, solved it now

What is the purpose of drying spherical granules?

The purpose of drying spherical granules is to remove excess moisture from the particles, making them easier to handle and increasing their shelf life. This process also helps to improve the flow and dispersibility of the granules.

What factors affect the drying of spherical granules?

The drying process of spherical granules can be affected by several factors, including the initial moisture content of the granules, the temperature and humidity of the drying environment, and the size and shape of the granules.

What are the different methods of drying spherical granules?

There are several methods of drying spherical granules, including fluidized bed drying, spray drying, and oven drying. Each method has its own advantages and is suitable for different types of granules.

How does drying affect the properties of spherical granules?

Drying can significantly impact the properties of spherical granules. It can change the size, shape, and density of the particles, as well as their flow and dissolution characteristics. It can also affect the chemical and physical stability of the granules.

What are the challenges in the drying of spherical granules?

The main challenges in drying spherical granules include achieving uniform and consistent drying, preventing over-drying or under-drying, and minimizing the formation of agglomerates or fines. The choice of drying method and process parameters can help to overcome these challenges.