1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drying of spherical granule

1. Nov 26, 2014 #1

Maylis

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Fig. below shows the cross-section of a porous spherical granule of radius a. The pores are initially saturated with water. The granule dries in air at pressure P and temperature T. The drying rate is controlled by diffusion of water vapor through the dry region B; the shrinking core A has the original moisture content ##\rho## kmol per unit granule volume.

Using the equation within the region B, ##N_{1}c_{2} - N_{2}c_{1} = -DC \frac {dc_{1}}{dr}## show that the drying
    time is
    $$ \frac {\frac {\rho a^{2} R T}{6DP}}{ ln \Big(\frac {P}{P-P^{*}} \Big)} $$
    where p* is the vapor pressure.

For a granule 10 mm in diameter, the drying time at 25 °C is 20 hours, the initial
    water content being 50 mg; P = 1 bar, p* = 0.032 bar. Estimate D.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am having a lot of problems solving these mass transfer problems, I am lacking intuition for the problem

So I start with the equation
    $$N_{1}c_{2} - N_{2}c_{1} = -DC \frac {dc_{1}}{dr}$$
    I am thinking 1 refers to water and 2 refers to air. I think the flux of air into the water, ##N_{2}##, is negligible since air is not very soluble in water, thus I am saying that term is zero, leaving me with
    $$N_{1}c_{2} = -DC \frac {dc_{1}}{dr} $$
    substituting ##c_{2} = C - c_{1}##
    $$N_{1}(C - c_{1}) = -DC \frac {dc_{1}}{dr} $$
    rearranging and integrating,
    $$ \int_{\rho}^{0} \frac {dc_{1}}{C-c_{1}} = - \frac {N_{1}}{DC} \int_0^a dr $$
    $$ln \Big(\frac {C}{C - \rho} \Big) = - \frac {N_{1}}{DC}a$$

From here I don't know where I will get those pressure terms

Attached Files:

• 4.4.png
      4.4.png
      File size:
      3.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2014 #2
    You're good up to here. Nice job and nice reasoning.

But, N1 is a function of r in your problem (so the integrations are incorrect). This is very similar to the problem you were doing the other day for evaporation of a drop. The above equation applies in the region between r = x and r = a. You need to take into account the spherical geometry, just like the problem the other day. 4πr2N1 is constant in this region. You need to express the C and c in terms of the total pressure P and the partial pressure of water vapor (which is equal to the equilibrium vapor pressure at r = x), respectively. You need to solve for 4πr2N1, which is the rate at which water is leaving the inner core.

Chet

4. Nov 27, 2014 #3

Maylis

Gold Member

Thanks, solved it now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted