Drying Timber Logs: Surprising Ease & Benefits

• Thread starter geordief
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drying
In summary, the speaker is pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to dry out logs of timber in outdoor and uncovered conditions with the bark still on. They wonder if there is a specific system or process that aids in the drying process and if the wood's shrinking as it dries makes it harder for it to absorb moisture when wet. They suggest an experiment with bark to test this. Another speaker mentions using Thermite and being too lazy to try other methods. The conversation ends with a discussion of being proud of serving in the military.
geordief
I am a bit surprised (pleasantly surprised) at how easy it is to dry out logs of timber in the fairly damp ,outdoor and uncovered conditions I leave them out in.
And I am wondering if there is something to the drying that I am not aware of.
Now I am talking of logs that have the bark on and I assume that this is very helpful.
But is there some kind of a ratchet system involved that makes it easier for the logs to lose moisture than to regain it?
Is it a bit like blowing up a balloon where it is hard to blow up but easy to let the air out?
Does the fact that the wood shrinks as it dries mean that , when it gets wet with rain it is much harder for the wood to absorb the new source of moisture?

Physics news on Phys.org
you could do an experiment, get some bark and wet is some how, and see if it is harder to get water through it from one side or the other.

I've always relied upon Thermite, but I'm just lazy.

Danger, anyone who uses C4 to down the tree is bound to take the termite route in drying it..LAZY! you must have been in the Combat Engineers in a previous life!

Ranger Mike said:
you must have been in the Combat Engineers in a previous life!

Not personally, but all of my 20 or so uncles were in WWII (even a couple at Normandy), so I guess that part of that is in my blood. I am as proud of belonging to my Legion as I am of belonging to PF.

:bugeye:
me too!

Ranger Mike said:
:bugeye:
me too!

Then we have something in common beyond our shared love of automobiles. :approve:

What is the process of drying timber logs?

The process of drying timber logs involves removing moisture from the wood in order to reduce its weight, increase its strength, and prevent decay. This is typically done by exposing the logs to heat and airflow, either through natural or artificial means.

Why is drying timber logs important?

Drying timber logs is important because it makes the wood more stable and less likely to warp or crack. It also reduces the risk of mold and insect infestations, and makes the wood more suitable for use in construction and other industries.

How long does it take to dry timber logs?

The time it takes to dry timber logs depends on several factors, including the type of wood, size of the logs, and the drying method used. In general, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months for timber logs to fully dry.

What are the benefits of drying timber logs?

Drying timber logs offers numerous benefits, including increased strength and stability, improved appearance, and reduced risk of decay. It also allows the wood to be used in a wider range of applications, making it more versatile and valuable.

Are there any risks associated with drying timber logs?

While the drying process itself does not pose any significant risks, improper drying techniques or storing the logs in a damp environment can lead to mold growth or uneven drying, which can compromise the quality of the wood. It is important to follow proper drying procedures to avoid these risks.