Is the Time Required to Travel D Miles at S MPH the Same as D/2 Miles at 2S MPH?

• Thread starter bobsmith76
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking whether the time required to travel d miles at s miles per hour is greater or equal to the time required to travel d/2 miles at 2s miles per hour. By using the equation d = st, we can see that these two options are actually equivalent, but the question is asking about the time required, not the distance traveled.
bobsmith76
which is greater or are they equal

1) the time required to travel d miles at s miles per hour

or

2) the time required to travel d/2 miles at 2s miles per hour

I thought 1) is equivalent to d*s or ds

and I thought 2) is equivalent to

d/2 * 2s

which simplifies to

ds

so they're the same but my book says 1) is greater

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Suppose Adam travels at 10 mph. He wants to travel 40 miles. How long will it take him?
Suppose Bob travels 20 mph. He wants to travel 20 miles. How long will it take him?

The problem you're having here is that the time required to travel distance d at speed s is d/s, not d*s.

d/s = t, so rearranging this we get d = st

If the options were instead:

1) the distance traveled after t hours at s miles per hour

2) the distance traveled after t/2 an hour at 2s miles per hour

Then they would be equal, because using the rearranged equation we have

1) d = s*t
2) d = 2s*t/2 = s*t

Oh and by the way, to remember this equation, it should just be intuitive but if you can't do that, think about the units! Distance is measured in miles (or equivalent), time is measured in hours, and speed is measured in miles/hour. So from this you can quickly tell that speed = distance / time since miles per hour means miles / hours.

I would like to clarify that both expressions represent the same amount of time required to travel a certain distance. Therefore, they are equal. The expressions may look different, but they are mathematically equivalent. It is possible that the book may have made a mistake in stating that 1) is greater. I would suggest double-checking the calculations and equations to ensure accuracy.

What does "Solving Ds or d/2 * 2s" mean?

"Solving Ds or d/2 * 2s" refers to solving equations or problems that involve variables represented by the letters D and s. The equation d/2 * 2s means that the variable d is divided by 2 and then multiplied by 2, which simplifies to just d.

Why is it important to solve equations involving Ds or d/2 * 2s?

Solving equations involving Ds or d/2 * 2s allows us to find the values of the variables and understand the relationship between them. This can help us make predictions, solve real-world problems, and make scientific discoveries.

What are the steps for solving Ds or d/2 * 2s?

The steps for solving Ds or d/2 * 2s may vary depending on the specific equation or problem, but generally, the steps involve simplifying the equation, isolating the variable of interest, and solving for its value. This may involve using algebraic manipulations, substitution, or other mathematical techniques.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving Ds or d/2 * 2s?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving Ds or d/2 * 2s include forgetting to apply the order of operations, making calculation errors, and not checking the solution for accuracy. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.

How can I improve my skills in solving Ds or d/2 * 2s?

Practicing regularly and seeking help from a teacher or tutor can greatly improve your skills in solving Ds or d/2 * 2s. It is also helpful to understand the underlying principles and concepts behind the equations, rather than just memorizing steps. Additionally, using resources such as online tutorials or textbooks can provide additional practice and explanation.