Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dsi imaging issues

1. Jun 27, 2012 #1

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I cant get my dsi pro II to produce a live view image. I either get a black screen or a grey screen with pepper dots. I concede the possibility of operator ignorance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I had an issue with mine where it would "lock up" and not actually download images if I set the live view exposure time to more than about 2 seconds. Does your DSI do it when you set the exposure to different durations or only one or what? Also, make sure you set the contrast and brightness and all that to "auto" or you have to constantly adjust it. If it is set to manual you may be getting good data but it will look like a black screen if the range is too high.

4. Jun 27, 2012 #3

russ_watters

Those probably are images. Do you have the automatic histogram function turned on? It will set the brightness for you. Point the scope at something bright and work the focuser - it may need to move far to get in focus.

The pepper dots are why you need "dark" frames, btw.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  5. Jun 28, 2012 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It appears multiple USB repeater cables are the problem. The camera appears functional with 1 5 meter cable, but, is unresponsive with more than 1 cable. Im going to try adding a powered usb hub. I have no problem running my dslr with 3 repeater cables, but, it is battery powered.

6. Jun 29, 2012 #5

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just for the record I'm trying to do AP from the comfort of my living room, which is why I am using multiple repeater cables.

7. Jun 29, 2012 #6

Drakkith

I would love to do that. I have to babysit my stuff in my front yard only because I'm afraid someone is going to steal my laptop. Otherwise I'm not too terribly worried someone is going to come by and screw with my telescope. And I would use my backyard, but there is a gigantic tree that takes up about 75% of the sky.

8. Jun 29, 2012 #7

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've been milking this cow for about a year. It has thrown new tricks at every turn. It looks like a decent finder scope is next in the que - assuming the dsi issue is resolved. With any luck I may realize success for less than 3x the cost I anticipated. I'm so dang deep into this project now I cant afford to quit.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  9. Jun 29, 2012 #8

Drakkith

It can definitely be a horribly expensive hobby...

10. Jun 29, 2012 #9

russ_watters

That's just it: the laptop is on his lap, in his living room. For me, the distance is a bit shorter, about 20' and the scope is on a 2nd story deck with no access from below. It is 20' from the scope to my couch, easily reachable by a 15' USB cable and a single 15' extension.

Chronos: make sure the cable says "active" on it, otherwise it is just letting the signal attenuate with distance.

11. Jun 29, 2012 #10

Drakkith

If I had an automatic focuser I'd probably try to make it all work, but I'm on a "about to not have a paycheck" budget, so can't do it at the moment lol.

12. Jun 29, 2012 #11

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Update. I strung 3 repeater cables to a powered hub and attached the dsi to the hub. The camera now appears functional. Evidently the power draw of the dsi was more than the repeater cables could deliver over more than one cable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook