Diagnosing Internet Issues with DSL & Broadband

In summary, the individual is experiencing internet connectivity issues when the phone rings and is turned off. This started happening a few months ago and they are unsure why. They have phone filters in place but are wondering if anyone knows the cause of this issue. A potential solution could be to disconnect all devices on the phone line except for one phone and try making a call to see if the problem persists. If it does, they can try swapping filters or purchasing a new one to eliminate that as the cause.
The_Z_Factor
Something weird is happening to my internet. I have DSL and broadband as a phone company, my router is a d-link. Anyways, a couple of months ago nothing would happen when the phone rang, but now everytime the phone rings and gets turned off (after ending a call turning off the phone), my internet gets cut off for about 30 seconds, then comes back on. I don't know why its doing it now it never did it before and now all of a sudden, maybe for about 4months now its been doing it. I have no clue why and I have phone filters and such. ANybody know why?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Maybe you have a bad DSL filter...

If it happens every time a phone call is made disconnect all devices on the phone line (phones, fax machines, etc) except for one phone. Make a phone call using the connected phone and see if the problem exists. If the problem still exists try swapping the DSL filter for the phone with one of the other filters and make another phone call. You may even want to purchase a new filter so you know it's good and see if you still have the problem.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your issue with your DSL and broadband internet. Based on the information provided, it seems like the phone ringing and being turned off is causing your internet to cut off for about 30 seconds. This is definitely an unusual situation and can be frustrating when trying to maintain a stable internet connection.

First, I would recommend checking your phone filters to ensure they are properly installed and functioning correctly. These filters help to separate the phone and internet signals, so it is important to make sure they are in good condition and not causing any interference.

Additionally, it may be helpful to contact your phone company and inquire if there have been any recent updates or changes to your DSL and broadband service. Sometimes, updates can cause unexpected issues, so it is worth checking in with them to see if they have any troubleshooting steps or solutions.

If the issue persists, it may be beneficial to try using a different router to see if the problem is with your current router. If the issue continues with a different router, it could be a larger issue with your internet service provider or phone line that may require a technician to investigate.

I hope this helps and that you are able to resolve your internet issues soon. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out for further assistance. Thank you.

What is DSL and broadband?

DSL (Digital Subscriber Line) and broadband are types of internet connections that use telephone lines to transmit data. DSL is a high-speed internet connection that uses existing telephone lines, while broadband is a type of high-speed internet connection that uses multiple lines to transmit data.

What are some common internet issues with DSL and broadband?

Some common internet issues with DSL and broadband include slow internet speeds, frequent disconnections, and problems with wireless connectivity. These issues can be caused by a variety of factors, such as outdated equipment, network congestion, or line interference.

How can I diagnose internet issues with my DSL and broadband?

To diagnose internet issues with DSL and broadband, you can start by checking your equipment, such as your modem and router, to make sure they are functioning properly. You can also run a speed test to determine your internet speed and check for any network outages in your area. If the issue persists, you may need to contact your internet service provider for further assistance.

Can I fix internet issues with my DSL and broadband on my own?

In some cases, you may be able to fix internet issues with your DSL and broadband on your own by troubleshooting your equipment and network connection. However, if the issue is related to your internet service provider or requires technical expertise, you may need to seek assistance from them or a professional technician.

How can I prevent future internet issues with my DSL and broadband?

To prevent future internet issues with your DSL and broadband, you can regularly update your equipment and ensure they are properly maintained. You can also secure your network with a strong password and avoid overloading your network with too many devices. It is also important to regularly monitor your internet speeds and contact your provider if you experience consistent issues.