Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DSM-V Manual of Mental Disorders

1. Feb 8, 2010 #1
    So it looks like in just a few more days the American Psychiatric Association will be releasing its first draft of the new DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders). According the The Economist and the panel responsible for the DSM's creation, this update might "introduce a 'new paradigm' into the manual," which would "recognise that many conditions, such as anxiety and depression, tend to overlap, so that a diagnosis of only one or the other does not always make sense" and may "include a 'dimensional' component, one that considers the severity as well as the nature of symptoms."

I'm not a psychologist, but the DSM has always interested and perplexed me. It seems really prone to the latest (sometimes questionable) fads in psychology/psychiatry, and, frankly, is a very strange text. I'm wondering what those more knowledgeable in these fields think of the DSM and its forthcoming update!
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted