DSP at an amateur's price

• Thread starter Ravaner
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello. I've searched without any real success on the web. I'm looking for a DSP (at affordable price !) which is able to accomplish ADC fonction (at least @ 16 MHz) and FFT on at least 512 points panel. If someone can transmit some manufacturer references ... Thanks by advance.

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
How many bits per sample? Do you have any microcontroller (uC) or other processing devices already? Do you need the FFT to be done in about real time?

.Scott
Homework Helper
I assume you are looking for something under $100.
And the 16MHz is the sample rate of the ADC.

I think the problem is that nobody markets that to hobbyists because they require too much support.
There are Infineon TriCore parts that fit your bill, but the evaluation boards are $5K.

These parts are sometimes used in consumer goods - but even if you took apart an auto radar sensor, the part inside may not be reprogrammable.

.Scott
Homework Helper
As @berkeman suggests, your solution might be to put together a few parts: 1st an ADC, then pipe that into a $20 BlackFin DSP.

Thanks for replies

Baluncore
Science Advisor
2019 Award
Microchip make the dsPIC range of 32 bit signal processors. They have several 4Msps 12 bit AtoD converters in the chip that can be interleaved to get 16Msps. Processor clock speeds are up to 100MHz, with prices less than $10. Low cost development systems are available. You may need to use an FFT from their code library. I would interlace the FFT code with the AtoD.
http://www.microchip.com/paramchartsearch/chart.aspx?branchID=8097

It would help if we knew what project you were planning.