1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DSP Engineers

1. Oct 16, 2007 #1
    Are there as many jobs for those undergrad EE's who want to try to specialize in DSP than there are for lets say circuit designers, etc...? I know DSP goes hand in hand with them, and a graduate degree is probably most helpful, but this is the class I find most interesting so far.

The reason I'm asking is because I see that DSP is limited with mainly audio/video/speech processing, radar/sonar processing (which means Ill have to work for a defense contractor like Lockheed Martin or Raytheon), etc.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2007 #2
    Unless you're really far ahead in your curriculum, I don't think there is any way to specialize in DSP as an undergrad. You can take one or two graduate classes as an undergrad, but I wouldn't call that specializing.

DSP is NOT at all limited to the defense industry! All the major IC design companies hire DSP engineers. DSP is a really hot field right now, and the applications can be seen in every single subfield of EE/CE.

Circuit designers do need to know DSP, or at least some basic concepts. Alternatively, if you are very good in DSP, you could design DSP circuits/chips or communication chips.

DSP is a great field to specialize in, but to really get into it, you need a graduate degree.
  4. Oct 17, 2007 #3
    I see. Thanks for clearing that up. And yeah, I was meaning only to take a few classes, but what I want to focus in is DSP for as an entry-level engineering, if I have the opportunity to find a position which will let me. I eventually would like to get an MBA and work in management positions.

Thanks Maxwell.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?