Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Δt ≥ Δs ≥ Δτ ?

Tags:
  1. Sep 8, 2016 #1
    Hi, all.
    My textbook presents an hierarchy of the three types of time, but doesn't back it up or explain where it came from.

According to it,

Δt ≥ Δs ≥ Δτ

Where
    - Δt is the coordinate time between two events as observed in an inertial frame,
    - Δs is the spacetime interval between two events,
    - Δτ is a proper time between two events.

Can anyone explain where this hierarchy comes from?
    Thanks,

Bristlethorn

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2016 #2

Ibix

Science Advisor

You seem to be assuming a +--- signature and units such that c=1 (that is, ##\Delta s^2=\Delta t^2-\Delta x^2-\Delta y^2-\Delta z^2##). I would have said that Δs and Δτ were the same thing, at least for timelike intervals, in that context. Perhaps there's some more context provided about what Δs and Δτ mean to your textbook? And which textbook, by the way?

But Δt is obviously greater than or equal to the other two from the definition of the interval - see the expression in brackets above.

4. Sep 8, 2016 #3

haushofer

Science Advisor

Proper time equals the spacetime interval between two events only when the proper time is measured by an inertial observer.

To see this hierarchy: write down the three expressions for the different intervals. What do you get?

5. Sep 8, 2016 #4

Ibix

Science Advisor

That's why I was asking for context. I interpreted the "proper time between two events" without qualification as the proper time along a straight line. You seem to be interpreting it as the proper time along an arbitrary path, in which case, I agree.

Maybe my terminology is letting me down.

6. Sep 8, 2016 #5

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you think of a physical example demonstrating the left inequality? the right inequality?

7. Sep 9, 2016 #6

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Which textbook?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted