1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dtermining dimensions.

1. Aug 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let P represent a force and x, y, and z represent distances. Determine the dimensions for each of the quantities listed below.

I attached the problem I need help with. (it's a small picture)

So I'm a bit confused since the it involves both dx and dy.

The dimensions for P is (ML/T^2)
    Where M=mass
    L=length
    T=time

Then I have to differentiate it twice but with two different variables. Since x and y refer to distances and the only distance found in that equation is L.

Would that mean the dimensions for dP/dx = M/T^2 ?

If so, would that mean the answer to the 2nd derivative still be the same answer since they're differentiating between different variables? (I'm not sure if I worded this right, but I remember from Calc III something similar)

On a side note. I took calculus quite a while ago so some of this I might have forgotten.
    The picture I provided, that is not equivalent to (dP/dx)*(dP/dy) right?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2012 #2
    A derivative is the limit of a certain ratio. It has the same dimensions as the ratio. What dimensions does the ratio have?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook