Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Du Sautoy and Prime #'s

1. Aug 16, 2004 #1
    A man called du Sautoy proclaimed in a book that some superdigit primes are unique, hard to calculate and probably have some sort of special underlying pattern. All I can tell is that a prime is the difference between two consecutive squares. What have YOU come up with?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The differences between consecutive squares are the odd numbers. Not ever odd number is prime, and not every prime is an odd number, so what are you getting at?

4. Aug 16, 2004 #3
    Is there such prime number that is not odd?

5. Aug 16, 2004 #4
    Yes. It is less than three, but greater than one.

6. Aug 16, 2004 #5
    is it 1.3?

7. Aug 16, 2004 #6
    or how bout 1.1?

8. Aug 16, 2004 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd have to say JonF is closer.

needhalp : all evens >2 are divisible by 2, hence, non-prime.

Semantics : You must be talking of du Sautoy from Oxford. And you must be refering to 'Music of the Primes' but surely you can't have read the book and end up asking a question like this. Where did you find this claim ?

9. Aug 17, 2004 #8
    Nothing. I'm just saying if prime numbers were not random numbers, if there was a pattern or the like, what would it be? But I needed a base to have reason to begin this string, and when I saw this guys book, I saw he was addressing the issue. But I'm not sure that book was Music of the Primes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?