Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dual booting

1. Apr 14, 2007 #1
    Presently I'm running XP Pro on my C drive, and I just recovered a hard drive that I thought was a gonner with Testdisk 6.
    What I'm now considering of doing is putting Freespire on the slave drive, and I'm not sure the best way to do this, if you could recommend a good freeware program to do this, I would be appreciative.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2007 #2
    I have the exact set-up. I have XP on the C drive of the Master. And Ubuntu on the slave. When you install Ubuntu, it will either let you install it manually, or take the maximum free space available. I have always chosen the latter option. Either the whole of the second drive is free, or there is an NTFS partition and some amount of free space. Make sure you know the drive names. For me, the slave is hdb(and the root is installed at hdb2). I haven't used Freespire. Since it is also based on Debian like Ubuntu, you may want to check some place like osdir.com for screenshots of the installation process, and see if the current version lets you install in the max. free space.

4. Apr 14, 2007 #3
    Im going to get my neighbor to help me set it up, I figure it's safer that way.
    Thanks for the reply.

5. Apr 15, 2007 #4
    A free version of linspire..

Yeaa! Take that! Greedy, hypocrit linspire people!

(don't buy anything from the "linspire" network or whatever it's called.. They sell FREE programs to people for what an equivalent shareware program would cost.. Profiting from the hard work of others who were inspired to create FREE software!)

As for dual booting, I know nothing about freespire. I am willing to bet there is some kind of page available though.. Learn to use google, it is the best skill to have online. Utilizing the knowledge you gain from googling is the second most important skill. Don't just let people do things for you all of the time. It's great to have help sometimes, but the most important person to educate and gain experience for is yourself. It's like that trite old saying, "teach a man to fish and he eats for a day, teach him to fish and he eats for a lifetime." Well, you can teach yourself how to fish nowadays in regards to computers.

This is the 4th link that popped up when I put "freespire dual boot" (without the quotes) into google. It seems to be just what you're looking for and is simple and easy to read: http://wiki.freespire.org/index.php/Dual_Boot

6. Apr 15, 2007 #5
    I believe the saying is, "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach him to fish and he eats for a lifetime." :wink:

7. Apr 15, 2007 #6
    To boredNL

Thanks for the link, I will be checking it out.

8. Apr 16, 2007 #7
    err... oops! that was a typo. lol

I was exhausted while typing that! hah

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?