Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dual core programming

1. Aug 20, 2006 #1
    Hello all,

I'm running a stochastic simulator for chemical rate equations and I'd like to know how to specifically impelement a dual core solution on my AMD athlon 64 X2 4200+ processors.

When I run the task manager with the simulator running, it is apparent that both cpus are running cycles - but I'd like to rig it up to do this manually.

Will I be dealing with OpenMP or MPI or something else altogether?

any info would be appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just use more than one thread, and the OS will automatically load-balance the two cores effectively.

- Warren

4. Aug 21, 2006 #3

-Job-

Science Advisor

You can also assign different threads to run on different processors if you want to ensure they'll be running on different processors.

5. Aug 22, 2006 #4
    If you're planning on porting your code to a cluster, you'd probably want to go with a process-oriented library like MPI. Otherwise, either OpenMP or MPI should work okay. OpenMP requires compiler support. What OS are you running?

Some compilers promise to automatically parallelize your code; my (very little) experience has been this doesn't work very well.

Good luck,
    Tim

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?