Is Pursuing a Dual-Degree in Physics and Electrical Engineering Beneficial?

• Programs
  • Thread starter ignite
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Path
In summary, the individual is currently a first year student at Tulane University and is considering pursuing either a dual-degree program or a traditional undergraduate route to obtain at least a bachelor's degree before applying to graduate or medical school. The dual-degree program involves studying physics for 3 years at Tulane and then transferring to Johns Hopkins University for 2 years to study electrical engineering, resulting in two degrees. The individual is also considering transferring to the University of Texas at Austin's Cockrell School of Engineering to major solely in electrical engineering. While the dual-degree program offers the advantage of a physics background and potential financial aid, it may take an additional year and be more expensive. The decision ultimately depends on the individual's career goals and whether the additional physics
ignite
Hello everyone,

I am currently a first year student at Tulane University and am contemplating whether to pursue A) a dual-degree program or B) a more traditional undergraduate route in order to obtain at least a bachelors degree before applying to graduate school (or maybe medical school). Here are the details of each scenario:

A) I'll study Physics for 3 years at Tulane University then matriculate to Johns Hopkins University for 2 years to study Electrical Engineering and in the end I will have two degrees, one from each school

Pros: Physics background, $50k scholar/year at Tulane -- JHU financial aid is undetermined at this point, legacy at Tulane/JHU in case I want to apply to their medical schools

Cons: An additional year longer than traditional 4 years spent for undergraduate education, perhaps more expensive because of the additional year (I still have to pay ~$8k/year for room and board)

(Note: this isn't a transfer, it's the dual-degree program that allows me to move

This is the curriculum: http://www.physics.tulane.edu/StudentsPhysDualA.shtml )

B) Transfer to University of Texas at Austin's Cockrell School of Engineering and major only in electrical engineering

Pros: Still a good education in electrical engineering, I'm a Texas resident so it will likely be cheap, I will finish within 4 years, connections to UT medical schools if I decide to apply to medical school, I believe their engineering school is more well known

Cons: Having to transfer out of the thus-far guaranteed dual-degree program

I suppose that my main question is:

Will it benefit me to obtain the additional physics degree in regards to applying to graduate / medical school and will it make me more marketable when I eventually seek a job?

Note: I am very interested in both physics and electrical engineering, I just am not sure if it is a good investment both financially and time-wise

Physics news on Phys.org
ignite said:
Will it benefit me to obtain the additional physics degree in regards to applying to graduate / medical school and will it make me more marketable when I eventually seek a job?

If you are applying to medical school- probably not. Medical schools care about three things: grades, the MCAT, and the interview. The physics section of the MCAT is more or less a complete joke, and by majoring in physics (in a 3-year program, no less) you will not have time to take courses in the more meaty areas of the MCAT (organic chemistry, for example).

For graduate school, maybe. It depends on what you want to do in graduate school. If you want to do engineering, you should probably just get the engineering degree. I think getting two bachelor's degree is a waste of time and money at this point.

For a job, if you want to do EE you should just concentrate on EE (similar for physics).

1. What is a dual-degree path?

A dual-degree path refers to a program where a student can earn two separate degrees, typically from two different fields of study, in a shorter amount of time than it would take to complete each degree separately.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a dual-degree path?

Some potential benefits of a dual-degree path include a broader range of knowledge and skills, increased job opportunities, and potentially higher earning potential. Additionally, it can save time and money by completing two degrees in a shorter amount of time.

3. What types of dual-degree paths are available?

There are a variety of dual-degree paths available, depending on the specific institutions and programs. Some common combinations include business and engineering, law and medicine, or computer science and mathematics.

4. What factors should I consider when deciding whether to pursue a dual-degree path?

Some factors to consider include your academic interests and career goals, the compatibility of the two degrees, the time and financial commitment required, and the availability of the program at your desired institutions.

5. Can I switch from a traditional degree path to a dual-degree path?

It is possible to switch to a dual-degree path, but it may require additional time and coursework. It is important to carefully consider all factors and consult with academic advisors before making a decision.