Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dual Degree

1. Jul 22, 2006 #1
    I am thinking of doing something called a "3+2" program, where I spend 3 years at my liberal arts college and 2 years at the Columbia Fu School of Engineering. I come out with a B.A. in any type of science or math from the liberal arts college and a B.S. in applied math (or any type of engineering like operations research). I think the benefit of this is that you get to experience two different college environments. I am thinking of doing a PhD in applied math( I know a lofty goal; it may change) after doing the "3+2 program." Have any of you, or any people you know done a dual degree, or something similar? Do you think this is a good idea?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2006 #2
    any feedback is appreciated.

thanks

4. Jul 22, 2006 #3
    I haven't "done" a dual degree but yeah I would have loved to do a dual major in physics and mathematics as my interests lie completely in mathematical physics and applied mathematics. And I think having a math degree HUGELY helps in physics (esp theoretical physics). So go for it if you're interested.

Best of luck.

5. Jul 27, 2006 #4
    How is Columbia's math/applied math department in comparision to other top schools?

6. Jul 27, 2006 #5

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I started out going for physics and music. It wasn't the same scenario, I was doing them both at the same time, and at first it was easy enough because I only had to focus on physics (I had learned a lot of music theory recreationally already) but once the music classes started getting intense, I had to drop them, and went full on physics b.s.

For me, personally, liberal arts are something I practice in my spare time, and physics is my academics choice, but there's plenty of people who do it your way.

I know this is a generic answer, but it fits: Do what you want.

7. Jul 29, 2006 #6
    Top 10 Applied Math programs according to US News World and Report 2007: Top Grad Schools
    1) NYU
    2) MIT
    3) CalTech
    4) UCLA
    5) University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
    6) Brown University
    7) Princeton
    8) Stanford (tie)
    8) University of Texas - Austin (tie)
    10) Berkeley

so i guess it's not top 10, but it's probably a good-great applied math program.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook