1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dual Degree

1. Jul 22, 2006 #1
    I am thinking of doing something called a "3+2" program, where I spend 3 years at my liberal arts college and 2 years at the Columbia Fu School of Engineering. I come out with a B.A. in any type of science or math from the liberal arts college and a B.S. in applied math (or any type of engineering like operations research). I think the benefit of this is that you get to experience two different college environments. I am thinking of doing a PhD in applied math( I know a lofty goal; it may change) after doing the "3+2 program." Have any of you, or any people you know done a dual degree, or something similar? Do you think this is a good idea?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2006 #2
    any feedback is appreciated.

thanks

4. Jul 22, 2006 #3
    I haven't "done" a dual degree but yeah I would have loved to do a dual major in physics and mathematics as my interests lie completely in mathematical physics and applied mathematics. And I think having a math degree HUGELY helps in physics (esp theoretical physics). So go for it if you're interested.

Best of luck.

5. Jul 27, 2006 #4
    How is Columbia's math/applied math department in comparision to other top schools?

6. Jul 27, 2006 #5

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I started out going for physics and music. It wasn't the same scenario, I was doing them both at the same time, and at first it was easy enough because I only had to focus on physics (I had learned a lot of music theory recreationally already) but once the music classes started getting intense, I had to drop them, and went full on physics b.s.

For me, personally, liberal arts are something I practice in my spare time, and physics is my academics choice, but there's plenty of people who do it your way.

I know this is a generic answer, but it fits: Do what you want.

7. Jul 29, 2006 #6
    Top 10 Applied Math programs according to US News World and Report 2007: Top Grad Schools
    1) NYU
    2) MIT
    3) CalTech
    4) UCLA
    5) University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
    6) Brown University
    7) Princeton
    8) Stanford (tie)
    8) University of Texas - Austin (tie)
    10) Berkeley

so i guess it's not top 10, but it's probably a good-great applied math program.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?