1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dual degrees

1. Jul 12, 2015 #1
    thoughts on a major in computer hardware engineering and a minor in geology maybe geophysics something that would give me the oil and gas extraction qualification to be a petroleum engineer or a computer hardware engineer?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2015 #2

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

A major/minor combination isn't a dual degree. A dual degree would be simultaneously completing two distinct degrees. I'm completing dual degrees in physics and math, which involves all of the normal requirements plus at least an additional 30 credits in the second field.

You might want to rephrase your question more specifically. It's not exactly clear what you're asking here. Petroleum engineering and computer hardware engineering are two very different fields.

4. Jul 12, 2015 #3
    im asking for thoughts on doing it that way vs actually earning two separate degrees...would that give me the education necessary to be a petroleum engineer

5. Jul 12, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Enrolling in an accredited petroleum engineering program.

The folks looking to hire petroleum engineers want to see that degree on your diploma, not a mish-mash of courses from other programs.

6. Jul 12, 2015 #5
    there aren't any where i live.

there aren't any in my state due to it not being in high demand where i live which is why my first line being a computer hardware engineer but theres still a possibility that id move and was wondering if doing it that way could get my foot in the door

7. Jul 12, 2015 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, I'm sorry that this degree isn't offered at local schools. When I wanted to study engineering, all of the school choices for my engineering specialization were located completely across the country from where I lived. If you want something bad enough, you'll figure out how to get it. The point I'm trying to make here is, these opportunities are not going to come to you, necessarily. You may have to make some sacrifices now in order to obtain the education and training you need to attain your goals. If that means going to school out of town, so be it.

This brings up another question. Suppose, after going through this roundabout educational process, you do get interviewed for a job as a petroleum engineer. What happens if the job is located some distance far away from where you live, in another state, or even, another country?

8. Jul 12, 2015 #7

Maybe my thought process is unclear to you let me try to explain what im thinking...the minor gives me some of the classes that I would need for that degree should (as a back up bc my ultimate passion is computer engineering) but should I decide to move (im thinking Texas) I would have some of the transfer classes and I would be employable in the oil and gas extraction industry and if need be I could transfer my classes and take the rest of them to be an actual petroleum engineer...I have no problem relocating but I have a family 2 kids and when I relocate I want to do so smoothly I hope that makes more sense. I also have no problem pursuing what I want im 27 have put the last 3 years of my life into nursing realized I want to do something different and im willing to throw it all away to do what it is that I really want to do.

9. Jul 12, 2015 #8

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

Just understand that you will be competing for jobs with people that do have those degrees in petroleum engineering, rather than a mish mash of courses meant to get close to a petroleum engineering degree. There's no shortage of applicants for these jobs, and it's likely that one of the chops made on the applications will be based on the actual degree. I'm not saying it would be impossible, but it would create a large extra hurdle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook