Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dual hilbert space

1. Mar 1, 2014 #1
    Hi, if ket is 2+3i , than its bra is 2-3i , my question is 2+3i is in Hilbert space than 2-3i can be represented in same hilbert space, but in books it is written we need dual Hilbert space for bra?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2014 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi wasi-uz-zaman! :smile:
    it's not the same, it's back-to-front!

you can't add a ket to a bra

it's like ordinary 3D vectors and pseudovectors (a 3D pseudovector is a cross product of two 3D vectors)

you can't add a vector to a pseudovector …

they look as if they exist in the same space, but in fact the two spaces are back-to-front :wink:

4. Mar 1, 2014 #3

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Kets are elements of a vector space, bras are linear functions defined on the kets - entirely different things.

They are, with a few caveats such as Rigged Hilbert Spaces, isomorphic via the Rietz-Fisher Theorem - but that doesn't mean they are the same.

Thanks
    Bill

5. Mar 2, 2014 #4

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The easiest Hilbert space to deal with (or maybe the second easiest) is that of spin-1/2 states. Then the states are (or can be represented as) column matrices with 2 elements. The dual states are the row matrices with 2 elements. Obviously it doesn't make any sense to add a row and a column.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook