Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dual names given to the mass squared differences in neutrino oscillation experiments?

1. Apr 14, 2012 #1
    In neutrino oscillation the probability a neutrino changing its flavour depends on the difference between the squares of the masses of the neutrino mass eigenstates. For example, the squared-mass difference between the mass states [itex]\nu_{1}[/itex] and [itex]\nu_{2}[/itex] is denoted [itex] \Delta m^2_{12} [/itex].

However, I keep reading stuff that refers to the neutrino source used in the experiment when it talks about the mass difference, for example, in solar neutrinos it is [itex] \Delta m^2_{sol} [/itex].

Am I right in thinking that whenever I see [itex] \Delta m^2_{sol} [/itex] it will always mean [itex] \Delta m^2_{12} [/itex] etc.?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2012 #2
    Re: Dual names given to the mass squared differences in neutrino oscillation experime

I can't immediately locate a definitive answer, but I think you are right for Δm2sol. But one textbook I have uses the definition

Δm2atm = m32 - 1/2 (m12 + m22) ​

4. Jun 2, 2012 #3
    Re: Dual names given to the mass squared differences in neutrino oscillation experime

I don't suppose you know why it is that [itex] \Delta m_{sol}^{2} [/itex] refers to [itex] \Delta m_{12}^{2} [/itex] and not some other mass^2 difference ?

What I mean is, the sun's reactions produce [itex] \nu_{e} [/itex] and fewer of them arrive at earth than expected, implying oscillation is happening. However, they only have a few MeV of energy, so when these solar neutrinos reach a detector, they cannot undergo CC interactions as [itex]\nu_{\mu} [/itex] or [itex]\nu_{\tau} [/itex] since they lack the energy required to produce the relevant charged lepton. That means you don't know whether they are turning mostly to [itex]\nu_{\mu} [/itex] or [itex]\nu_{\tau} [/itex].

Am I right in thinking that, since you can express [itex] \nu_{e} [/itex] as

[itex] \rvert \nu_{e} \rangle = cos\theta_{12}cos\theta_{13} \rvert \nu_{1} \rangle +
    sin\theta_{12}cos\theta_{13} \rvert \nu_{2} \rangle +
    sin\theta_{13}e^{-i\delta} \rvert \nu_{3} \rangle [/itex]

you can approximate [itex] sin\theta_{13} = 0 [/itex] and [itex] cos\theta_{13} = 1 [/itex] so that you just deal with

[itex] \rvert \nu_{e} \rangle = cos\theta_{12} \rvert \nu_{1} \rangle +
    sin\theta_{12} \rvert \nu_{2} \rangle [/itex]

and just neglect any oscillation to [itex]\nu_{\tau} [/itex], ending up with a two-neutrino treatment where the only parameters you have are [itex] \Delta m_{12}^{2}, \theta_{12} [/itex]?

5. Jun 5, 2012 #4

Yes, that's exactly why [itex]\Delta m^2_{sol}[/itex] means [itex]\Delta m^2_{12}[/itex].

With atmospheric neutrinos you are starting with [itex]\nu_\mu[/itex], so even with the approximation [itex]\theta_{12} = 0[/itex] you still have to take account of the [itex]\nu_3[/itex] state.

6. Jun 5, 2012 #5

is it still a valid analysis given that we now know that [itex]theta_{13}[/itex] is non-zero though?

7. Jun 6, 2012 #6

Given the relatively low levels of precision currently available in experimental measurements, I imagine it's still a reasonable approximation.

BTW apologies for the typo in my previous post, I did of course mean [itex]\theta_{13}[/itex], not [itex]\theta_{12}[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook