Dual nature of light

• Thread starter logearav
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Light propagates as waves, but exchanges energy as particles

Homework Equations

I dont understand the second part, i.e., light exchanges energy as particle. I need the help of members in this regard

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers and Replies

light and every other elementary particle act as particle and as a wave it depends on how u look them.

I dont understand sir

It's very strange; I'd recommend looking up on YouTube or something similar the double slit experiment (both Young's and the one with buckyballs).

In a very non-intuitive way, particles, or even you and I, act as waves. Depending on the circumstances, we exhibit wave or particle like properties.

Don't worry though, you and I have an extremely tiny wavelength. :P

PeterO
Homework Helper
I dont understand sir
It could just be that light is neither a particle nor a wave but something mysterious, HOWEVER, in certain circumstances - like the Young's slit experiment, we can use wave properties to accurately predict/explain what is happening.
In other cases, like the photo electric effect, we can only accurately predict/explain what is happening if we use a particle model.
In other cases - like light bouncing off a mirror - either model will do, though you might be more satisfied with one compared to the other.
Two beams of light passing straight through each other [at right angles] is more satisfyingly explained with the wave model.