Dual-Output Function: Solutions for Non-Negative Integer x?

• Thread starter scikidus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a function f(x) that returns a specific value for x=0 and a different value for all other values of x. Various options were discussed, including using absolute values, characteristic functions, and piecewise functions. It was ultimately suggested to use the function f(n) = \frac{\sin \pi n}{n}, which is only defined over the integers and can be inverted using piecewise functions.
scikidus
"Dual-output" Function?

This isn't homework: I am experimenting with factorization.

Does anyone know of a function f(x) which for some value of x returns one value for f(x), but for every other value of x returns some other value?

Example: I'm trying to find a function f(x), where

x = 0, f(x) = 1
x != 0, f(x) = 0

My function is only dealing with non-negative integers, if that helps.

I've already derived a function that does this, but it uses absolute values, which is a nuisance.

Anyone know of anything like this?

For reference, here is my formula:

[tex]f(x) =\frac{1-\frac{\left|2x-1\right|}{2x-1}}{2} = \frac{\left|4x-2\right| - 4x-2}{8x-4}[/tex]

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org

scikidus said:
Example: I'm trying to find a function f(x), where

x = 0, f(x) = 1
x != 0, f(x) = 0

My function is only dealing with non-negative integers, if that helps.

That's the characteristic function of zero (Sloane's http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A000007 ). But your post seemed to focus on giving it a closed form. Why?

Last edited by a moderator:

What exactly do you want? When you say "f(0)= 1, f(x)= 0 if x is not 0" you have already defined a function. And if you want a closed form, why is absolute value a "nuisance"?

Thanks to those who have responded, you've helped a lot.

@Vid: The link you supplied helped me solve another problme I was working with, so thanks.

@CRGreathouse: That, too, is of great help. I wasn't sure if 0^0 would be considered defined, but that greatly simplifies my procedure.

@HallsofIvy: Yes, that techincally defines a function, but I was looking for a mathematical equation which would supply that result. Two ways are the one I supplies in ym OP, and f(x) = 0^x.

Also, I called absolute value a nuisance because I am build an equation and I need to then invert it. If there are absolute values, then things get very tricky, by which I mean impossible to solve.

It's interesting you decided f(x)=0^x is an equation that gives this, since 0^x has to be defined at x=0 separately anyway, so you haven't really gained anything. And there's no way in hell you're going to invert this sucker

scikidus said:
Also, I called absolute value a nuisance because I am build an equation and I need to then invert it. If there are absolute values, then things get very tricky, by which I mean impossible to solve.

This function (regardless of whether you view it as a closed-form equation or not) can't be inverted. f(9) = f(3) = 0, so what would f^-1(0) be?

Terribly sorry, I misspoke/posted. By "invert," I meant not the function, but the final equation that I'm working on.

scikidus said:
Terribly sorry, I misspoke/posted. By "invert," I meant not the function, but the final equation that I'm working on.

Yes, but inverting the final equation will involve inverting that special function.

Actually, I've decided that using the characteristic function of 0 essentially allows you to build piecewise functions, so perhaps you can simply invert piecewise.

If your function only needs to be defined over the integers, you can try

[tex]f(n) = \frac{\sin \pi n}{n}[/tex]

1. What is a dual-output function?

A dual-output function is a mathematical function that has two outputs for every input. This means that for a single input, the function will produce two different values or solutions.

2. How is a dual-output function different from a regular function?

In a regular function, there is only one output for every input. In a dual-output function, there are two outputs for every input, providing more possibilities and solutions.

3. How are non-negative integers used in a dual-output function?

Non-negative integers, or whole numbers that are equal to or greater than zero, are often used in dual-output functions because they provide a clear and simple solution for both outputs.

4. Can a dual-output function have more than two outputs?

Yes, a dual-output function can have more than two outputs. In fact, there are functions that have multiple outputs for every input, known as multi-output functions.

5. What are some real-world applications of dual-output functions?

Dual-output functions can be used in various fields such as engineering, economics, and computer science. They can be used to model systems with multiple outcomes, optimize decision-making processes, and find efficient solutions to complex problems. For example, in economics, dual-output functions can be used to analyze production processes and determine the optimal combination of outputs for a given set of inputs.