Dual Power Sources: Supplementing Solar w/ Battery

In summary, the conversation revolved around the issue of inconsistent power supply while trying to create something with power cells. The idea of using a solar cell and battery to supplement power was discussed, but the issue of maintaining a set input value was raised. Suggestions for using a microcontroller or two diodes were mentioned, but some argued that using transistors or MOSFETs may be more efficient. The conversation also touched on the idea of charging the battery from the solar cell.
HybridLogic
Hey!

I'm trying to create something with some power cells, and I've run into the issue of inconsistent power supply.

I'd like to supplement power from a solar cell with a battery, but I'm not exactly sure how to keep the input to something at a set value. Basically, when the solar cell supply falls below a certain level, I'd like to supply the missing power with the battery.

Anyone have any ideas? I really don't know if any hardware exists for this already. The idea of using a microcontroller came up (and I can write assembly, so using one's not an issue).

Thanks for any input.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Good post, Mheslep, but I can't help thinking that there's an easier approach. The way an automotive electrical system works is that everything runs off of the battery, and the alternator keeps it charged. In this situation, the power cells can be subbed in for the alternator.

Easier than two diodes? OP didn't discuss charging the battery from the PV. If he/she wants that they need something different.

The problem with diodes is that they waste some power. Better maybe to use to transistors which are switched fully on by a control signal.

Any kind of semiconductor gate will have losses in its on state. Power MOSFETS have the lowest switch losses. I don't know if that's any better than a good Schottky diode (.1, .2V forward bias). In any case, an transistor/FET that's turned on is effectively just a diode.

1. How does the battery work with the solar panels?

The battery is connected to the solar panels through a charge controller. The charge controller regulates the flow of energy from the solar panels to the battery, ensuring that it is charged at the correct voltage and current. When the solar panels are not producing enough energy, the battery supplies the additional power needed to meet the demand. This combination allows for a consistent and reliable source of energy.

2. What are the advantages of using a dual power source system?

One of the main advantages of using a dual power source system is that it provides a backup source of energy in case of a power outage or during periods of low solar production. It also allows for energy to be stored and used at a later time, increasing the overall efficiency of the system. Additionally, a dual power source system can help reduce the overall cost of electricity by supplementing solar power during peak hours when electricity rates are higher.

3. How long can the battery store energy for?

The duration of energy storage depends on the capacity of the battery and the amount of energy being consumed. Generally, a fully charged battery can provide energy for several hours to a few days. However, it is important to properly size the battery to meet the specific energy needs of the system.

4. Can the battery be charged by sources other than solar panels?

Yes, the battery can also be charged by other sources such as a generator or grid power. This can be useful during extended periods of low sunlight or if the battery needs to be fully charged quickly. However, it is important to ensure that the charging source is compatible with the battery and does not damage it.

5. Is a dual power source system more expensive than a traditional solar system?

Yes, a dual power source system may be more expensive upfront due to the additional equipment required, such as a charge controller and battery. However, it can lead to long-term cost savings by reducing reliance on grid power and potentially lowering electricity bills. It also provides added reliability and flexibility in energy usage, making it a worthwhile investment for many homeowners and businesses.