Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dual purpose, household appliance/heater

1. Sep 10, 2005 #1

Gold Member

Does anyone know if anything in your average room (besides a kitchen) emits enough heat to decently warm up a piece of food? I had a feeling a CRT monitor would do but i only have an LCD now and i want to heat up this cherry turnover!

Oh, and I only use CF bulbs in my room...
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

There is a video floating around somewhere of a guy frying an egg on his CPU....
  4. Sep 10, 2005 #3
    Turn the furnace up? Electrict heating? What do you do in the winter?
  5. Sep 10, 2005 #4

Gold Member

I don't want to heat my room, i want to heat my food :P And we have central A/C so we don't have heating ducts on the floor.

Oh definitely. A modern consumper CPU will produce upwards of 100watts of heat in a 1cm^2 area. Intel processors will go to like, 160F before turning itself off
  6. Sep 10, 2005 #5
    A microwave. Not only can you use the radar, but you can also kill birds and cook food and stuff O.O
  7. Sep 10, 2005 #6

Gold Member

Did anyone read anymore? :D

8. Sep 10, 2005 #7
    Who DOESN'T have a full microwave radar in their room :uhh:

On a serious note, get a new processor, take off heatsink, turn on computer and it turns red instantly.... Otherwise, get some blankets, cover yourself, and use your body heat. OR, your window might be slightly hot :confused:
  9. Sep 10, 2005 #8
    You could use the heat exhaust from your air conditioner. funnily enough I just recently wrote a small assignment on the topic for one of my mechanical design classes. I've attached the document if you're interested.

Attached Files:

10. Sep 10, 2005 #9

Gold Member

The airconditioner is about 30 feet up on top of the roof....
  11. Sep 10, 2005 #10
    Are you lazy or locked in?
  12. Sep 10, 2005 #11
    you could try burning some of your household items...
  13. Sep 10, 2005 #12
    Who stole the "t" from Artman's name?
  14. Sep 10, 2005 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I lived in a dorm, we used to make grilled cheese sammys by pressing them with an iron.
  15. Sep 10, 2005 #14

Gold Member

Disassemble your bed. Wire 3 or 4 of the springs in parallel to a yanked-out lamp cord. Plug it in. Call Fire Department.
  16. Sep 10, 2005 #15
    Didn't your clothes smell kind of cheesy when you used it as an iron again? I can imagine you walking down the hall with a horde of salivating mice in your wake.
  17. Sep 10, 2005 #16
    That is the peltier working to try and save that poor silicon.... This would work great but you would need to have the heatsink big enough to cook stuff on...

Other than that there is the electric guitar amp....I think those get pretty warm.
  18. Sep 10, 2005 #17

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you were crazy or your life absolutely depended on it, you could take an A/C cord, cut off the tip, peel off the insulation about 1/2 inch from each wire, separate the ends carefully and insert into a bowl of water. Then carefully plug the other end into the wall outlet. You'll have boiling water in less than a minute. For superior efficiency, you could wrap each bare end on to a 2.5-inch wood nail, then insert the nails into the bowl.

19. Sep 10, 2005 #18
    Wouldn't you blow a fuse or trip a circuit breaker?
  20. Sep 10, 2005 #19
    Well he did say "Do not try at home" assumingly you could have a resistor in lab conditions to keep it at a steady voltage/ampere?
  21. Sep 11, 2005 #20

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I never tried it at home :smile: but theoretically you shouldn't as long as the wires (the + vs. the -) are separated out with enough distance (and sufficent amount of water) between them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?