Dual purpose, household appliance/heater

  • Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • #1
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,124
17
Does anyone know if anything in your average room (besides a kitchen) emits enough heat to decently warm up a piece of food? I had a feeling a CRT monitor would do but i only have an LCD now and i want to heat up this cherry turnover!

Oh, and I only use CF bulbs in my room...
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
russ_watters
Mentor
21,950
8,984
There is a video floating around somewhere of a guy frying an egg on his CPU...
 
  • #3
Smurf
396
3
Turn the furnace up? Electrict heating? What do you do in the winter?
 
  • #4
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,124
17
Smurf said:
Turn the furnace up? Electrict heating? What do you do in the winter?

I don't want to heat my room, i want to heat my food :P And we have central A/C so we don't have heating ducts on the floor.

russ_watters said:
There is a video floating around somewhere of a guy frying an egg on his CPU...

Oh definitely. A modern consumper CPU will produce upwards of 100watts of heat in a 1cm^2 area. Intel processors will go to like, 160F before turning itself off
 
  • #5
moose
547
0
A microwave. Not only can you use the radar, but you can also kill birds and cook food and stuff O.O
 
  • #6
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,124
17
Did anyone read anymore? :D

Does anyone know if anything in your average room (besides a kitchen)
 
  • #7
moose
547
0
Pengwuino said:
Did anyone read anymore? :D

Who DOESN'T have a full microwave radar in their room :uhh:

On a serious note, get a new processor, take off heatsink, turn on computer and it turns red instantly... Otherwise, get some blankets, cover yourself, and use your body heat. OR, your window might be slightly hot :confused:
 
  • #8
arman
14
0
You could use the heat exhaust from your air conditioner. funnily enough I just recently wrote a small assignment on the topic for one of my mechanical design classes. I've attached the document if you're interested.
 

Attachments

  • assignment.doc
    41.5 KB · Views: 331
  • #9
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,124
17
The airconditioner is about 30 feet up on top of the roof...
 
  • #10
zoobyshoe
6,551
1,287
Pengwuino said:
Does anyone know if anything in your average room (besides a kitchen) emits enough heat to decently warm up a piece of food?
Are you lazy or locked in?
 
  • #11
arman
14
0
you could try burning some of your household items...
 
  • #12
zoobyshoe
6,551
1,287
arman said:
you could try burning some of your household items...
Who stole the "t" from Artman's name?
 
  • #13
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,611
35
When I lived in a dorm, we used to make grilled cheese sammys by pressing them with an iron.
 
  • #14
Danger
Gold Member
9,756
253
Disassemble your bed. Wire 3 or 4 of the springs in parallel to a yanked-out lamp cord. Plug it in. Call Fire Department.
 
  • #15
zoobyshoe
6,551
1,287
Math Is Hard said:
When I lived in a dorm, we used to make grilled cheese sammys by pressing them with an iron.
Didn't your clothes smell kind of cheesy when you used it as an iron again? I can imagine you walking down the hall with a horde of salivating mice in your wake.
 
  • #16
Townsend
221
0
moose said:
On a serious note, get a new processor, take off heatsink, turn on computer and it turns red instantly...

That is the peltier working to try and save that poor silicon... This would work great but you would need to have the heatsink big enough to cook stuff on...

Other than that there is the electric guitar amp...I think those get pretty warm.
 
  • #17
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2,327
124
If you were crazy or your life absolutely depended on it, you could take an A/C cord, cut off the tip, peel off the insulation about 1/2 inch from each wire, separate the ends carefully and insert into a bowl of water. Then carefully plug the other end into the wall outlet. You'll have boiling water in less than a minute. For superior efficiency, you could wrap each bare end on to a 2.5-inch wood nail, then insert the nails into the bowl.

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!
 
  • #18
Manchot
473
4
EnumaElish said:
If you were crazy or your life absolutely depended on it, you could take an A/C cord, cut off the tip, peel off the insulation about 1/2 inch from each wire, separate the ends carefully and insert into a bowl of water. Then carefully plug the other end into the wall outlet. You'll have boiling water in less than a minute. For superior efficiency, you could wrap each bare end on to a 2.5-inch wood nail, then insert the nails into the bowl.

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!
Wouldn't you blow a fuse or trip a circuit breaker?
 
  • #19
Smurf
396
3
Manchot said:
Wouldn't you blow a fuse or trip a circuit breaker?
Well he did say "Do not try at home" assumingly you could have a resistor in lab conditions to keep it at a steady voltage/ampere?
 
  • #20
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2,327
124
Manchot said:
Wouldn't you blow a fuse or trip a circuit breaker?
I never tried it at home :smile: but theoretically you shouldn't as long as the wires (the + vs. the -) are separated out with enough distance (and sufficent amount of water) between them.

OTOH, YOU COULD DIE TRYING THIS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
 
  • #21
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
4,397
559
zoobyshoe said:
Didn't your clothes smell kind of cheesy when you used it as an iron again? I can imagine you walking down the hall with a horde of salivating mice in your wake.

I think that is why MIH wears vynil.
 
  • #22
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,124
17
These are some rather copmlicated ways to quickly heat a cherry turnover :/
 
  • #23
gurkhawarhorse
44
0
my friend inserted a pencil into the socket and it came out flying!. he didnt speak to anyone for 3 days don't know why...
 

Suggested for: Dual purpose, household appliance/heater

Replies
1
Views
257
  • Last Post
Replies
8
Views
760
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
1K
Replies
7
Views
2K
Replies
9
Views
890
Replies
83
Views
4K
Replies
18
Views
1K
Replies
9
Views
1K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
51
Views
8K
Replies
1
Views
1K
Top