1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dual space

1. Nov 23, 2008 #1
    Let V be a finite dimensional vector space over the field K, V* be the dual space, the set of all linear functions on V. Now define a h:V*->K^n by h(f)=(f(e_1),f(e_2),...f(e_n)), where e_i is the basis of V. It is known that h(xf+yg)=xh(f)+yh(g), where x,y is in K and f,g in V*. It is told that h is bijective. I understand h is injective, but do not understand why it is surjective? it might be quite simple, all the books just says it is OBVIOUS, but I just don't get it....
    More precisely, given x=(x_1, x_2,...,x_n) in K^n, why there is a f in V* such that h(f)=x, or equivalently, f(e_i)=x_i ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Aren't expressions exactly like that how you normally go about specifying a linear transformation?
  4. Nov 23, 2008 #3
    yea, thanks. I think get it now...in case I made something wrong, check it plz, thanks
    since I'm not having much knowledge on linear transformation. This is how I'm thinking:
    there's a isomorphism g:V->K^n such that g(e_1)=(1,0,...,0), g(e_2)=(0,1,0...0)....g(e_n)=(0,0,...,1).
    given (a_1,a_2,...,a_n) in K^n, there's a linear function f:K^n->K such that f(g(e_1))=a_1,...f(g(e_n))=a_n and f has the form f((x_1,x_2,...,x_n))=a_1*x_1+....a_n*x_n. This is done by solving a system of linear equations.
    f(g(v)):V->K is the linear function I need. (linearity is easy to check)

Is this the right way to prove it? Is it possible to have a more explicit form of f?
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  5. Nov 23, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's explicit enough, isn't it? The reason textbooks don't elaborate on why h is bijection is because it really is obvious! Any linear map defined on V is completely determined by its action on a basis; and vice versa, once you define the values of a function on the basis of V, you can extend it (uniquely) to a linear map.
  6. Nov 24, 2008 #5
    thanks. it's more clear now
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?