1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dual speed motors

1. Nov 12, 2005 #1

Danger

Gold Member

While I've worked with an awful lot of motors, including making simple ones and repairing several others, I don't know the technical aspect of what governs the no-load speed of a DC unit. Specifically, I have 3 really nice 12VDC 1/2hp wheelchair drive motors with gear trains. They're extremely handy for lots of things. What sets them apart from any others that I've worked with is that there are 2 sets of field windings, with 6 wires coming out of the case. They're meant to be operated by a joystick that alters the connections between the wires. One connection set-up wires the windings in parallel, and produces a lot of torque. The other wires them in series, which doubles the speed and halves the torque. (The rest are for doing the same things in reverse.)
    I don't know the principle behind this effect. Can someone, preferably without invoking math, set me straight?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted