Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dual speed motors

1. Nov 12, 2005 #1

Gold Member

While I've worked with an awful lot of motors, including making simple ones and repairing several others, I don't know the technical aspect of what governs the no-load speed of a DC unit. Specifically, I have 3 really nice 12VDC 1/2hp wheelchair drive motors with gear trains. They're extremely handy for lots of things. What sets them apart from any others that I've worked with is that there are 2 sets of field windings, with 6 wires coming out of the case. They're meant to be operated by a joystick that alters the connections between the wires. One connection set-up wires the windings in parallel, and produces a lot of torque. The other wires them in series, which doubles the speed and halves the torque. (The rest are for doing the same things in reverse.)
    I don't know the principle behind this effect. Can someone, preferably without invoking math, set me straight?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted