1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dual Vector Spaces

1. Sep 20, 2007 #1
    I wasn't quite sure where to post this, as it isn't really a homework question. My professor is teaching us General Relativity from a post-grad book, and I don't have a lot of linear algebra under my belt. He lent me the textbook he's teaching from the other day, and I got stuck when I got to dual vector spaces. I searched online and for some reason I just can't reason out what they are.

Can anyone explain to me what they are?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2007 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the matrix representation, elements of V are column vectors and elements of V* are row vectors. Evaluation then becomes the matrix product.

4. Sep 20, 2007 #3
    It might be good to explain what you don't get. Hurkyl's explanation is good -- it's the one that you'll need to do concrete calculations. However, it's important to understand things a bit more abstractly, especially as trying to find matrix representations of tensors tends to tax the imagination.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?