1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dual vector transformation

1. Sep 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let va be a dual vector field. Show that the quantity ∂[a vb] transforms as a type (0, 2) tensor under coordinate transformations.

2. Relevant equations

wu' = (dxu / dxu') wu

3. The attempt at a solution

My main problem is that I don't know what the brackets mean.

I know if they weren't there it doesn't transform like a tensor because there's a second derivative when you do out the math and it's non-tensorial that way.

Does anyone know of a good online resource that describes how to transform vectors? My textbook doesn't give very concrete examples.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You seem to be saying that you are trying to do a problem involving "[itex]\partial_{[a }v_{b][/itex]" without knowing what it means. If so, then the first thing you should do it look it up! Where did you get this problem? If it is from a text book, it will certainly be defined in the book. If you were give this problem by an instructor, ask the instructor. That is generally better than asking other people because they may have learned definitions that differ from the one you need to use.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook