Light Particle & Wave: 4D Space Reality?

In summary, quantum mechanics does not require the existence of a 4th spatial dimension to explain the behavior of light.
eextreme
Is there a possibility that light can be a particle and wave at the same time? If so then there is the proof that there exists a physical manifestation of 4D space.

Science news on Phys.org
eextreme said:
Is there a possibility that light can be a particle and wave at the same time? If so then there is the proof that there exists a physical manifestation of 4D space.

I'm almost afraid to ask but, what makes you think one leads to the other?

Well, if there was 4D space that means that there is a chance that two events can happen at the exact same time. Thus, what if light as a wave and particle are two events happening at the same time? (wave properties being the first event and particle properties being the second event)

eextreme said:
Well, if there was 4D space that means that there is a chance that two events can happen at the exact same time. Thus, what if light as a wave and particle are two events happening at the same time? (wave properties being the first event and particle properties being the second event)

Your logic escapes me. Even if there WERE a 4th spatial dimenision (which I dispute) it does NOT follow that two events could happen at the same time AND why would "two events could happen at the same time" follow from the duality of light?

Light IS a particle and a wave at the same time in 3D; why do you need a 4th?

phinds said:
Your logic escapes me. Even if there WERE a 4th spatial dimension (which I dispute) it does NOT follow that two events could happen at the same time AND why would "two events could happen at the same time" follow from the duality of light?

Light IS a particle and a wave at the same time in 3D; why do you need a 4th?

Your first paragraph and second paragraph contradicts each other.

Light acting as a wave is an event and light acting as a particle is another event. Recently, I've watched a video that described shapes in 4D space and the hypercube's "shadow" is a cube and that is what we perceive in the real world.

Light as a wave and light as a particle are "shadows" of "Light" which exists in 4D space.

eextreme said:
Light as a wave and light as a particle are "shadows" of "Light" which exists in 4D space.

Riiiigghht ...

Quantum mechanics does perfectly well without introducing a 4th spatial dimension, as far as I know...

eextreme said:
Light acting as a wave is an event and light acting as a particle is another event.
No, they are not.

eextreme said:
This sounds suspiciously like an assertion based upon a personal or otherwise unpublished theory. PF expressly forbids personal theories, as you will have read in the rules when you signed up. If you pursue this assertion further this thread will be locked.

You may ask questions as to why it is not so, but you may not make unfounded assertions. Consider yourself given fair warning.

DaveC426913 said:
This sounds suspiciously like an assertion based upon a personal or otherwise unpublished theory.

Dave, you said that SO much more elegantly than I did. But I was briefer :smile:

eextreme said:
Your first paragraph and second paragraph contradicts each other.

Light acting as a wave is an event and light acting as a particle is another event. Recently, I've watched a video that described shapes in 4D space and the hypercube's "shadow" is a cube and that is what we perceive in the real world.

Please read the FAQ subforum as a start.

If you wish to propose your own idea, rather than learn what we know about QM and light, then you've found the wrong forum. Please review the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380" that you had agreed to.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between a light particle and a light wave?

A light particle, also known as a photon, is a discrete bundle of energy that travels in a straight line. It behaves like a particle with mass and momentum. On the other hand, a light wave is a disturbance in an electromagnetic field that propagates in a wavelike manner. It has properties like wavelength, frequency, and amplitude.

2. How is 4D space related to light particles and waves?

In 4D space, which includes three dimensions of space and one of time, light particles and waves can be described and understood in a more comprehensive manner. The concept of spacetime, introduced by Einstein's theory of relativity, explains how light particles and waves travel through the fabric of space and time.

3. Can light particles and waves exist simultaneously?

Yes, light particles and waves can exist simultaneously. This phenomenon, known as wave-particle duality, is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics. It states that all particles, including light, have both wave-like and particle-like properties.

4. How does light behave differently in a 4D space reality?

In 4D space, light particles and waves can travel through curved paths due to the presence of massive objects. This is known as gravitational lensing and is a direct consequence of the curvature of spacetime. Additionally, the speed of light is also affected by the presence of gravity in a 4D space reality.

5. Can we visualize 4D space and light particles and waves?

It is challenging to visualize 4D space as we are limited to experiencing only three dimensions. However, we can use mathematical models and simulations to understand and visualize the behavior of light particles and waves in 4D space. These tools help scientists make predictions and better understand the nature of our universe.