Duality of Light

• Thread starter eextreme
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Is there a possibility that light can be a particle and wave at the same time? If so then there is the proof that there exists a physical manifestation of 4D space.

Answers and Replies

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Is there a possibility that light can be a particle and wave at the same time? If so then there is the proof that there exists a physical manifestation of 4D space.
I'm almost afraid to ask but, what makes you think one leads to the other?

Well, if there was 4D space that means that there is a chance that two events can happen at the exact same time. Thus, what if light as a wave and particle are two events happening at the same time? (wave properties being the first event and particle properties being the second event)

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Well, if there was 4D space that means that there is a chance that two events can happen at the exact same time. Thus, what if light as a wave and particle are two events happening at the same time? (wave properties being the first event and particle properties being the second event)
Your logic escapes me. Even if there WERE a 4th spacial dimenision (which I dispute) it does NOT follow that two events could happen at the same time AND why would "two events could happen at the same time" follow from the duality of light?

Light IS a particle and a wave at the same time in 3D; why do you need a 4th?

Your logic escapes me. Even if there WERE a 4th spacial dimension (which I dispute) it does NOT follow that two events could happen at the same time AND why would "two events could happen at the same time" follow from the duality of light?

Light IS a particle and a wave at the same time in 3D; why do you need a 4th?
Your first paragraph and second paragraph contradicts each other.

Light acting as a wave is an event and light acting as a particle is another event. Recently, I've watched a video that described shapes in 4D space and the hypercube's "shadow" is a cube and that is what we perceive in the real world.

Light as a wave and light as a particle are "shadows" of "Light" which exists in 4D space.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Light as a wave and light as a particle are "shadows" of "Light" which exists in 4D space.

Riiiigghht ......

BruceW
Homework Helper
Quantum mechanics does perfectly well without introducing a 4th spatial dimension, as far as I know...

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Light acting as a wave is an event and light acting as a particle is another event.
No, they are not.

This sounds suspiciously like an assertion based upon a personal or otherwise unpublished theory. PF expressly forbids personal theories, as you will have read in the rules when you signed up. If you pursue this assertion further this thread will be locked.

You may ask questions as to why it is not so, but you may not make unfounded assertions. Consider yourself given fair warning.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
This sounds suspiciously like an assertion based upon a personal or otherwise unpublished theory.
Dave, you said that SO much more elegantly than I did. But I was briefer :smile:

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Your first paragraph and second paragraph contradicts each other.

Light acting as a wave is an event and light acting as a particle is another event. Recently, I've watched a video that described shapes in 4D space and the hypercube's "shadow" is a cube and that is what we perceive in the real world.

Please read the FAQ subforum as a start.

If you wish to propose your own idea, rather than learn what we know about QM and light, then you've found the wrong forum. Please review the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380" that you had agreed to.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator: