Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Duality pairing

1. Aug 26, 2009 #1
    Hello all,

does anybody know what means duality pairing in connection with functional. For example limE[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]0[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partialE}[/tex]F(u+Ev)=<DF(u),v>. Where F is functional F:K[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]R.

Thank You for answers.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2009 #2
    please write with proper formatting .. it is not possible to guess what you mean ...

4. Aug 27, 2009 #3
    Hello, I find definition of duality pairing in book
    http://books.google.cz/books?id=zTV...onepage&q=duality pairing functional&f=false"
    The part of interest is as jpg in attachments - dualitypairing1.jpg
    But in book Contact problem in elasticity from Oden and Kikuchi is definition like in dualitypairing2.jpg.
    In dualitypairing2.jpg is used as functional gradient of functional F at u. I dont understand how it is meaned. If g is part of V' we write g(v)=<g,v>: in this the g is functional. But in dualitypairing2.jpg is DF(u), which is gradient of F at u. This DF(u) is still functional or is it a value.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  5. Aug 28, 2009 #4
    nobody will bother replying to you if you dont make any effort to clarify what u r asking.

6. Sep 2, 2009 #5
    DF(u) is a functional. Think of it this way: the gradient of a function takes a point and gives you back a vector. The inner product on euclidean space allows you to transform that vector into a function.

7. Sep 4, 2009 #6
    Thank you for posting messages.
    Nirax: the question was "This DF(u) is still functional or is it a value?" I forget to add ?.
    Zhentil: The inner product on euclidean space is dot product of two vectors. So the result will be real number. How do you think it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook