Calculating Duct Sizes for Swamp Coolers

• Thread starter luca5371
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary: Additionally, you need to know the specific air volume requirements for each area of your house in order to determine the correct duct diameter. In summary, to determine the flow rate or percentage of overall flow for each duct in your house's ducting system, you will need to use the Darcy-Weisbach equation, take into account the fittings, and know the specific air volume requirements for each area.
luca5371
So, this should be an easy one but it's been so long since Fluids in college I've forgotten.

I'm redoing the ducting in my house and need to figure out what diameters I need for the ducts. The cooling system used where I live is a swamp cooler. For those of you not familiar with them, they're basically giant fans that suck outside air through thick (12" in my case), wet, cardboard-like pads. They then blow this cooler air into the house. They rely primarily on air-flow to cool so you have rather large cfm's (~4400 for the one I own).

I know what the cfm output of the cooler is. I know the basic layout of the ducting (lengths, bends, y's, etc...). I know how big of an area/volume each vent must keep cool. I know the basic diameters of the ducts I'm going to use. How do I figure out what comes out of each duct (flow rate or percentage of overall flow)? What else do I need to know to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The basic equation you need to use is the Darcy-Weisbach equation. This equation takes into account the viscosity of the air, the diameter of the pipe, and the length of the pipe, and combines it with the pressure drop that occurs due to friction. You can then use this equation to calculate the flow rate of the air through the ducts. You also need to take into consideration the fittings, such as bends and Y-junctions, which will affect the pressure drop and therefore the flow rate.

1. How do I calculate the duct size for my swamp cooler?

To calculate the duct size for your swamp cooler, you will need to determine the CFM (cubic feet per minute) needed for your space. This can be done by multiplying the length, width, and height of the room in feet, and then multiplying that number by the desired air change rate (usually 20-30 times per hour). Once you have the CFM, you can use a duct sizing calculator or reference a duct sizing chart to determine the appropriate duct size for your specific CFM.

2. What is the recommended air change rate for a swamp cooler?

The recommended air change rate for a swamp cooler is typically between 20-30 times per hour. However, this can vary depending on factors such as the climate, humidity levels, and the size of the space being cooled. It is important to reference your specific swamp cooler model's manual for the recommended air change rate.

3. Can I use flexible ducting for my swamp cooler?

Yes, you can use flexible ducting for your swamp cooler. However, it is important to ensure that the duct size is appropriate for your CFM needs and that the ducting is properly installed to avoid any air leaks or restrictions. Flexible ducting can be a convenient option for spaces with limited access or tight corners, but it may not be as durable as rigid ducting.

4. How do I know if my duct size is too small for my swamp cooler?

If your duct size is too small for your swamp cooler, you may experience reduced air flow and cooling efficiency. This can result in your swamp cooler working harder and potentially causing damage to the unit. Signs that your duct size may be too small include loud noises coming from the unit, decreased air flow, and increased energy consumption. It is important to properly size your ducts to ensure optimal performance and avoid potential issues.

5. Can I have multiple ducts connected to one swamp cooler?

Yes, you can have multiple ducts connected to one swamp cooler. This can be especially useful for cooling larger spaces or multiple rooms. However, it is important to ensure that the total CFM of the connected ducts does not exceed the CFM capacity of your swamp cooler. You may also need to use a larger duct size or additional ducts to evenly distribute the cooled air throughout the space.