Duct Pressure Question: Troubleshooting Complicated Units and Conversions

• Thread starter cwill53
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the conversation discusses unit conversions and how to solve a problem involving a vacuum gauge. The problem is eventually solved by realizing that 1 lbm is equivalent to 1 lbf on Earth and the density can be expressed in terms of lbf/ft3. The final answer obtained is 14.2834 lbf/in2.
cwill53
Homework Statement
A vacuum gage at the intake duct to a fan gives a reading of 6 in of water. The surrounding atmospheric pressure is ##14.5 lbf/in^2## Determine the absolute pressure inside the duct, in ##lbf/in^2.## The density of water is ##62.39lb/ft^3##, and acceleration of gravity is ##32.0 ft/s^2##.
Relevant Equations
$$p=p_{atm}+ \rho gL$$
These units complicate everything and I simply cannot get them to check out for the life of me. After making some conversions I got to this point:
488C6200-A37A-464D-8CF8-3D2B30690482.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask yourself what a vacuum gauge measures.
Wrt units, how do you convert lbm to lbf? (You could have saved yourself some arithmetic.)
How do you convert ft2 to in2?

Likes cwill53
haruspex said:
Ask yourself what a vacuum gauge measures.
Wrt units, how do you convert lbm to lbf? (You could have saved yourself some arithmetic.)
How do you convert ft2 to in2?
I ended up solving the problem by realizing 1 lbm= 1 lbf on Earth essentially and the density can be expressed in terms of ##lbf/ft^3##.
Thanks a lot.

cwill53 said:
I ended up solving the problem by realizing 1 lbm= 1 lbf on Earth essentially and the density can be expressed in terms of ##lbf/ft^3##.
Thanks a lot.
What answer did you get? You did not respond to my remark about what a vacuum gauge measures.

Likes cwill53
The correct starting equation, in proper English units should be $$p=p_{atm}-\frac{\rho gL}{g_c}$$where $$g_c=32\ \frac{lb_m\ ft}{lb_f\ sec^2}$$So, $$p=p_{atm}-\frac{(62.4)(32)(0.5)}{32}\frac{1\ ft^2}{144\ in^2}=14.5-0.2=14.3\ psi$$

Likes Lnewqban and cwill53
haruspex said:
What answer did you get? You did not respond to my remark about what a vacuum gauge measures.
I got the answer of ##14.2834lbf/in^2##

A vacuum gauge measures pressures that are lower than atmospheric pressure.

1. What is duct pressure and why is it important in troubleshooting complicated units?

Duct pressure refers to the amount of air pressure within the ductwork of a heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system. It is important in troubleshooting complicated units because it can affect the overall performance and efficiency of the system. If the duct pressure is too high or too low, it can lead to issues such as poor air flow, uneven heating or cooling, and increased energy consumption.

2. How do you measure duct pressure?

Duct pressure can be measured using a manometer, which is a device that measures the difference in air pressure between two points. The manometer is connected to a small tube that is inserted into the ductwork. The difference in air pressure is then displayed on a gauge or digital screen.

3. What are some common causes of high duct pressure?

High duct pressure can be caused by a number of factors, including a dirty air filter, blocked air vents, closed dampers, or a malfunctioning blower motor. It can also be a result of a poorly designed or improperly sized HVAC system.

4. How can duct pressure be reduced?

To reduce duct pressure, it is important to identify and address the underlying cause. This may involve cleaning or replacing the air filter, opening blocked air vents, adjusting dampers, or repairing or replacing a malfunctioning blower motor. In some cases, it may be necessary to redesign or resize the HVAC system to better balance the air flow.

5. How do you convert duct pressure measurements from one unit to another?

Duct pressure can be measured in a variety of units, including inches of water column (in. w.c.), pascals (Pa), and pounds per square inch (psi). To convert between these units, you can use conversion factors or online calculators. It is important to use the correct units when troubleshooting and making adjustments to the HVAC system to ensure accuracy.