1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Due Tommorrow:Hockey Puck shot across the ice(trying to find coefficient of friction)

1. Dec 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A hockey puck is hit on a frozen lake and starts moving with a speed of 12.0m/s. Exactly 5.0sec later, its speed is 6.0m/s. What is the puck's average acceleration? What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the puck and ice?

2. Relevant equations
    VF=VI+at
    FN=mg
    FF=UFN
    FF=ma
    EFY=FN+Fgcos(0)
    (cos(0)=1)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have the acceleration it's -1.2m/s2 (that was easy been doing that for a while)The problem is I am having trouble on finding the coefficient of Friction. I'm pretty sure the last four equations are correct, do i need to find Fn next? Because i don't have the mass and it's not moving at a constant velocity, so i do need mass right?if and multiply that by gravity to get Fn? All I know i have the info just a little confused on how to use it

Never mind i got it no worry's

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2008 #2
    Re: Due Tommorrow:Hockey Puck shot across the ice(trying to find coefficient of frict

If you solve the equation for FF=ma, you'll find that the m's cancel out.

4. Dec 17, 2008 #3
    Re: Due Tommorrow:Hockey Puck shot across the ice(trying to find coefficient of frict

uh? what do u mean m's cancel out? The mass cancels out? and ya that's one formula forgot (i edited it in)

5. Dec 17, 2008 #4

Yes. You'll find that writing the frictional force in terms of m,g, and u and setting it equal to ma will result in the masses canceling out.

6. Dec 17, 2008 #5

edit: yep ^^^^^^^^

I believe he/she means that you can replace m*a for the force of friction, so:

-1.2m = k*-9.81m

By solving this, you see that the mass cancels and you're left with the coefficient of friction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?