Quadratic Has A Maximum Value Or A Minimum Value

In summary, a quadratic function is a mathematical function of the form f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c, represented by a parabola. The difference between a maximum and minimum value is that a maximum value occurs when the parabola opens downwards, while a minimum value occurs when it opens upwards. The coefficient of the x^2 term determines if a quadratic function has a maximum or minimum value, and the vertex formula can also be used to find this value. A quadratic function cannot have both a maximum and minimum value. Understanding maximum and minimum values in quadratic functions is important in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics for solving optimization problems and analyzing system behavior.
Chikawakajones
Due Tomorrow Please Help Now!

#2 Tell Whether The Quadratic Has A Maximum Value Or A Minimum Value. The Find The Value. Round To The Nearest Tenth. :confused:

F(x)= -x² -6x - 7

#3 Let y = | x+a | +b, Where a ‡ 0 and b ‡ 0 . Explain how the values of a and b affect the graph of the functions as compared to the graph of y= |x|.

I NEED HELP FAST HURRY! :cry: THANK YOU!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hints:

#1 Solve. Round Decimal Answer To The Nearest Tenth.

x + y = 6 -(1)
y + z = 4 -(2)
x + z = 2 -(3)

Take equation (1). Rearrage to get y in terms of x.
Substitute that into equation (2) to get a new equation for x and z - equation (2b)
Eliminate either x or z from equations (2b) and (3), solving simultaneously.
Back-substitute to get the other two solutions.

#2 Tell Whether The Quadratic Has A Maximum Value Or A Minimum Value. The Find The Value. Round To The Nearest Tenth.

F(x)= -x² -6x - 7

This is a parabola. Which way round does it go? Peak at the top, or the bottom? How can you tell?

To find the maximum or minimum, you can either differentiate (if you know calculus), or complete the square (if you don't).

#3 Let y = | x+a | +b, Where a ‡ 0 and b ‡ 0 . Explain how the values of a and b affect the graph of the functions as compared to the graph of y= |x|.

How do the following graphs differ:

y = sin x
y = sin x + 6

How about these ones:

y = sin x
y = sin(x+6)

Apply that to your problem.

If you need more help, let us know.

I Need More Help. I DONT GET IT.

Well, let's start with the first one:

x + y = 6
y + z = 4
x + z = 2

You have three equations and three unknowns. Pretty simple here.

Lets write the first equation in terms of y.

y = 6 - x

(*Remember when you move a term to the other side of the equals sign, its sign changes*)

Now, we know what y is. So we can take that and substitude (6-x) wherever there is 'y' term.

Take a look at the second equation:

y + z = 4

We now know what y is, so we can turn this into a new equation.

(6 - x) + z = 4
6 - x + z = 4
z - x = -2

Now let's take a look at the third equation

x + z = 2

Lets rearrange this bad-boy in terms of z

z = 2 - x

(*Isn't this fun?*)

Knowing that
z - x = -2
We can now write
2 - x - x = -2
-2x = -4

I hope you can take it from there.

thank you, how about the 2nd and the 3rd ones?

need answers

Well, for the second question let's look at your equation.

F(x)= -x² -6x - 7

Its in the form ax^2+bx+c which means that you are given a parabola

This is what a f(x) = x^2 looks like

Parabola1.gif

Now what we have here is a little different. Our parabola has a negative sign infront of it. This means that it will be upside down, or opening downwards.

From that you should be able to figure out if it will have a MAX or a MIN.

To find the MAX/MIN value just set dy/dx(f(x)) = 0

Solve for x, plug into f(x) and you'll get your y value.

I'll put in just as much effort as you do, chikawakajones.

#2: We hav

That's about it.

--J

how do u solve for x?

Chikawakajones said:
need answers

Justin Lazear said:
I'll put in just as much effort as you do, chikawakajones.

#2: We hav

That's about it.

--J

haha :rofl:

just help me...

Well, you have two options. If you know calculus you can take the derivative of f(x), or you can complete the square.

Either way is really easy. And you'll get the same value for x.

I'm going to assume right off the bat that you don't know calculus. So, I'll explain how to complete the square

f(x) = -x^2-6x-7

For the general equation:

x^2 + bx + c

Take half of the middle term (b) and add its square to the last term (c).

(x-b/2)^2 + c + b^2

set

x-b/2 = 0

solve for x

plug x into F(x)

(x, F(x) ) are your points

Last edited:
im doing other problems right now...that is why i need as much help i could get

for the x value, i got -22. is this right?

Chikawakajones said:
for the x value, i got -22. is this right?

Err--no. Not quite sure how you got that.

Lets look at this again, and break it down.

We have

f(x)= -(x^2) -6x -7

Lets break this bad boy down.

Term A is going to be [tex]-(x^2)[/tex]

Term B is going to be [tex]-6x[/tex]

Term C is going to be [tex]-7[/tex]

Lets take out the x's

b = 6

c = -7

Now the general formula is

[tex](x-\frac{b}{2})^2 + (\frac{b}{2})^2 + c[/tex]

Now take your [tex](x-\frac{b}{2})^2[/tex] part

and set [tex]x-\frac{b}{2} = 0[/tex]

solve for x

plug into your oringal function to get y

Or you know what in this case just take b (READ: 6) divide it by two (READ: 6/2) and then set x - b (READ: -x - 6/2) to 0 (READ: x + 6/2 = 0)

Then plug that value (READ: -6/2) into f(x) to get your Y value.

Last edited:
If x=-22 is supposed to be the x value of the maximum point, the answer is "no - that's not right."

Please post your working so we can tell you where you went wrong.

1. What is a quadratic function?

A quadratic function is a mathematical function in the form of f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the independent variable. It is a polynomial function of degree 2 and is graphically represented by a parabola.

2. What is the difference between a maximum and minimum value in a quadratic function?

A maximum value is the highest point on the graph of a quadratic function and occurs when the parabola opens downwards. On the other hand, a minimum value is the lowest point on the graph and occurs when the parabola opens upwards. In both cases, the value represents the peak or lowest point of the function.

3. How can you determine if a quadratic function has a maximum or minimum value?

A quadratic function has a maximum value if the coefficient of the x^2 term is negative and a minimum value if the coefficient is positive. Additionally, you can also find the maximum or minimum value by finding the vertex of the parabola, which is given by the formula x = -b/2a.

4. Can a quadratic function have both a maximum and minimum value?

No, a quadratic function can have either a maximum or minimum value, but not both. This is because the shape of the parabola is determined by the value of the coefficient of the x^2 term, which cannot be both positive and negative at the same time.

5. Why is it important to understand the concept of maximum and minimum values in quadratic functions?

Understanding maximum and minimum values in quadratic functions is crucial in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It helps in solving optimization problems, determining the maximum or minimum value of a physical quantity, and analyzing the behavior of a system in various scenarios.